Advice needed: F/G fenders + hood adjusting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Advice needed: F/G fenders + hood adjusting

Ok.... What is the best method for installing the hood and fenders on a 'glass tub? I thought I was ahead of the game by attaching the fenders when the tub was off of the frame. I went ahead and flushed the fenders to the bottom of the tub, then drilled the holes to attach them. Then of course, the hood mounts flush with the cowl (at the hinges). So now the body is on the frame, but there is a good size gap between the top of the fenders and the bottom of the hood. I don't have any adjustment in the hood position, so I'm guessing that the fenders need to move up. But this means that there will be a "step" where the fenders meet the tub. I don't want this! But I guess I can live with it. But I only want to make an adjustment once.
Also, the front of the hood is touching the fenders. That's not such a big deal, as I don't have the little rubber "bumpers" for the hood installed yet, but I'm at a loss as to how all this is supposed to be lined up. I guess I'm just looking for advice, so that this can be corrected, and not totally cobble this thing up.
This may be an issue of two manufacturers. I got a used tub, so I have no clue who made it. My front end is all 4WD Hardware, but I figured jeep is jeep.... didn't think it would make that much difference.

Sorry for the length... just a little venting.... begging for advice.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:15 PM

Re: Advice needed: F/G fenders + hood adjusting

Seems you don't have many choices.
You will have to install the bumpers and raise the fenders to get a good hood seat line.
Then you'll either want to add more glass to the bottoms of the fenders or cover up the whole bottom line with some armor to hide the step plus protect your rocker area.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 03:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmm....what about your body mounts...all in good condition and the right size?

thats just another reason nothing fiberglass would EVER find its way onto anything i own.

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 02:06 PM

If it's a 4WD Hardware body, there will be a sticker attached to the inside of the tub. Take a flashlight and look above the emergency brake pedal.
I think the instructions that should have come with the 4WD Hardware body mention that the "rocker panel" area of the FG bodies are intentionally left longer than they need to be, and you are supposed to trim them after installing the fenders.
Bob in MA

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 06:35 PM

I ran across my instructions for for the 4WD Hardware body. Its 2 pieces of paper stapled together that say "helpful hints for fiberglass body installation"
Here's the text.

A. Install hood hinges and place hood on vehicle, lining it up with the body cowl. Allow approximatly 1/4" gap between the hood and body cowl.

B. Install fenders to body. Allow approximately 1/4" gap between fenders and hood.

C. The lower edge of the fenders may be slightly higher than the bottom edge of the body. You may need to trim the bottom edge of the body off according to the placement of the fenders. Do not trim bottom edge untill fenders are installed in the correct location. NOTE:SOME BODIES MAY NOT NEED TO BE TRIMMED. PLEASE CHECK FIT FIRST TO INSURE QUALITY LOCATION.

Hope this helps....
Bob in MA

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well... In the heat of the battle, I thought the gap was huge. But after waiting a couple of days, and calming down a little, the gap isn't as big as I previously stated. It's still bigger than I want, so I have some adjusting coming my way. I doubt that I'll trim the tub to match the fenders, I imagine I'll just run with the little "step" in the body.

Thanks for all of the replies.

On a side note: Above my emergency brake (on the underneath of the cowl) there is a sticker, but it's just a bar code. Is this the sticker I'm looking for, or should it be a 4WD Hardware sticker? Just curious.

Thanks again.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode