Motor mounts revisited - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Motor mounts revisited

The alternate name for this post is "Ten things I hate about fenderwell headers". Yeah, no problem, right? Jack up the engine, zip the bolts off, pop out the old mount, and pop the new one in? Well, these were the original, 24 year old motor mounts, and had never been touched from the looks of things. So the right side was totally hashed--the rusty bolts just rounded off. After much work with a sawzall, I got enough of the rubber bushing cut away to attack the bolts with a blue wrench--after about 3 hours of work, I got the old mount out--but the motor would only go up about 2" before the headers hit on the bottom of the tub--so the new mounts wouldn't fit in. I had to unbolt the bottom bracket that bolts to the frame, so off come the wheels, and in comes the impact wrench. Got those off, heavily never seized everything I touched, and got the right side together, with the bracket tightened, and the nuts on the mount just started. Went to the left side--I got these nuts to spin, but it was "turn it 1/16 of a turn, flip the wrench, turn it 1/16 of a turn, flip the wrench..." I got a stubby socket on one of them, but the other was inaccessible by anything but an open end wrench...not even a speedwrench would work. It took about 45 minutes to remove the top two nuts on the mounts, because of my inability to access anything--because the headers were in the way. Finally got those off, removed the bottom nuts, and because I hadn't cut this mount in two, I had to remove the frame bracket on this side as well, in order to replace the mount. This time, I got to fight the fuel and brake lines! Slapped that all back together, never seized everything, and then went about tightening the nuts back up. The bottom was easy, the top was pure hell. Grrrrr. All in all it took about 5.5 hours to replace the two mounts. 5.5 hours, and an unknown assortment of ratchets, sockets, extensions, wrenches, sawzall blades, oxy/acy torch, impact wrench, pry bars, wedges, creepers, floor jacks, blocks, never seize, worklights, curses, and one forklift. Oh, and about a case of WD40 and PB blaster.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Motor mounts revisited

Sounds like you need a beer break!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode