Wheels - backspacing/offset/bolt pattern - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheels - backspacing/offset/bolt pattern

89' YJ stock D35 rear, D30 front, 4" Procrap lift. Looking to purchase some wheels but don't know what the backspacing, bolt pattern and offset should be. I want to run 32X11.50X15's on 8" wheels. Does anyone who has this setup know what these specs should be. I don't want the tires to rub the springs, but I also don't want the bearings to wear out prematurely from the offset being too much.
Also, does anyone have the black steel wheels they sell for like $40??? I like the way the black wheels look as opposed to the aluminum wheels most of the posers out here run..Makes a Jeep look all that much meaner....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tommy B. in AZ -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheels - backspacing/offset/bolt pattern

I run the black steel wheels, from pepboys they are like $37 a piece... I only have the 15x7's with 31's, no back spacing....

You'll need to order the center caps seperate if you want them...

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe that the lug pattern you're looking for is 5 on 4.5" (same as a ford RWD 5 lug car). If you're running 15x8's, you should be good with a 4" or a 4.5" back spacing. This shouldn't hit your springs and it shouldn't hurt your bearings.... Someone else out there correct me if I'm wrong on this... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, so then what would the offset be????

Tommy B. in AZ -
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so if you have aluminum rims your a poser?? well back in the day we cj owners use to call you yj owner posers. lots of use still do. i have aluminum rims and i'm no poser.

80 cj7 304..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 04:06 PM

The standard backspacing on the Canyon crawler 15x8 Black spoke wheels that 4 WPW sells I believe is 3 1/2" which should be fine. I order my 15x10 wheels with 3" back spacing because I need to service my wheel bearings more often anyway due to the abuse that I put everything through. And I need the wider stance.
For what you are doing, the standard backspacing will work(whatever it might be on the 15x8, probably between 3" and 4"), and you will need 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 04:15 PM

Oh by the way, going by some of the responses there is some confusion on back spacing. The way it works is, the less back spacing the further the wheel sticks out away from the hub. And no one uses 0 backspacing, that would mean the center section would be all the way to the inside edge of the wheel and the entire wheel and tire would cantilever out from there, you would need an extremely strong wheel to handle those loads. Going from 0 towards a higher backspacing moves the center section closer to the center of the wheel. So a 3 1/2" back spaced wheel would have the center section located 3 1/2" outward from the inside edge of the wheel. Whew!!! is that about as clear as mud???

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 04:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The way I understand it, H8 is correct. However, if you bring in the term "offset" it all goes to he||. Offset is the change from having the center section of the wheel dead center on the width of the wheel. THen, there is positive and negative offset. An 8" wide wheel with 4" of backspace, would have a 0 offset. (I'm not sure which way is pos. and which way is negative - I think negative is towards the center of the Jeep) I have 8" wide wheels with 4.75" backspace on my YJ. (So I think this would be a negative offset) I think the standard black rockcrawlers were 3.5 or 3.75. My 33 x 12.5s sit "almost" under my flares. Any more sticking out and it would look odd I think. IT does make the tires rub the springs a bit when turning hard, but I don't worry much about it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you look at my page, there is a small writeup on how I got my wheels. I don't think they are made anymore. It was a chrome version of the AR767 black from American racing, and it was offered in a 4.5" backspace.

Good luck with your choice. This is just my understanding of it - I may not be correct. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 04:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Keep in mind, stock YJ 7" wheels have a 4.75" backspace, and I think the 8" wide wheels have like a 5" or 5.5" backspace - not sure on that though.

Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take it easy Mike. I don't think you understood my point. My point was in my opinion, the black wheels make a Jeep look meaner. My opinion, not everyones. I've had aluminum rims on my other rigs, and really don't have a problem with them...As far as the poser thing, you know damn well there are posers out there who buy a Jeep, dress it all up with thousands of dollars worth of fancy chrome accessories etc. and you know the thing hasn't so much as seen a dirt road. That's what I call a poser.

Tommy B. in AZ -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in