258 Stalling when cold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

258 Stalling when cold

I,ve got an 88 YJ with the 258. It ran rough when I got it last Feb. but I made a lot of adjustments and it seemed to run well. Turns out it was just the onset of summer that made it run better. Now that its cold out again... it runs great when I rirst start it and the choke is on but when it gets partially warmed, it won't hold an idle and I have to keep giving it gas to stay running. Once its warmed up fully, it runs great again. I had the emissions stuff taken off but put it back on a month ago (it made no diff.) I have also already backed out the mixture screws a lot. It seemed to help a bit but I don't want to take them out much more. Also my mileage seems realy crappy, maybe 13mpg is this right. 4 more months of winter... it's driving my crazy. Any suggestions?

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 06:32 AM
sas87yj

Re: 258 Stalling when cold

have you checked the egr, cto and temp sensor yet? have you checked out this site yet?
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm
i want to say the choke is not opening all the way after engine is warm but you say it is not that. check all vacuum lines for leaks.
i had similar probs but finally worked it out![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i replaced egr, cto and temp sensor along with a new rebuilt carter carb. runs and idles like new now-so it is possible for this system to work well!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you checked to see if the choke is actually working correctly? Take the air cleaner off when you first start it in the morning (or when it's cold) watch to make sure the choke closes then gradually opens up when the engine starts to warm. This will rule out the choke being the culprit. Kind of sounds like the choke is staying closed too long or opening too soon. It should open gradually.. Then go to the CTO valve etc...There are steps to test these things in the repair manual if you have one. (chiltons or haynes)

Tommy B. in AZ -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My jeep hasn't run this good for me ever. Looks like I finaly hit the right adjustment yesterday and it's running great. I realy don't like that carb!
Thanx for the ideas.

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode