What should I use on my frame? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

What should I use on my frame?

Well it is frame painting time and I just wanted to know what others have used or what would be a good product to try out. I found a product in the Sears automotive catalog called corroless (spelling?). This product claims to go over and bond to whatever rust is left (I've got 95% of it off)and then prime all in one coat. I was planning on using that then getting some Herculiner and applying that ontop of the Corolless. Whatcha think??

Seth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What should I use on my frame?

corolless is POR 15.. same stuff..
I like hammerite... works good, easy to touch up.. do a seasrch on frame paint.. lots of discussion on it here..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

sweet thanks for the info.

Seth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 10:18 PM

A word of caution in case you stumble across my posts and travel the route I took (POR-15 top-coated with Hammerite)...BUY THE POR TIE-COAT PRIMER AND USE IT BETWEEN THE TWO PRODUCTS. I gambled, and everytime I knock something metal up against the frame, the Hammerite comes off with it. I'm debating now whether or not to tear back down, strip off the Hammerite and re-do it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 01:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I painted my frame with silver Hammerite and I'm verry happy. Although my Jeep is in the "Rolling Chassis" phase of the rebuild, I have dropped tools on it and cant find a mark. According to the can, you dont use ANY type of basecoat or primer. Scrape off the chunks of rust (Mine was a new frame, so I skipped this part), completely degrease with acetone or something of the same nature, and paint. It is supposed to be over 60 deg. when you paint, and it takes 2 weeks to cure, but it is rock hard! I used the Hammerite "Rust Cap", so I'm not sure on the directions for the regular Hammerite. Good luck!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just curious about the coast of hammerite? The nice people at their web site never replied to my e-mails. Thanks

Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 12:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It's $12 for a quart (did my frame with a quart, two coats, just barely). It also comes in spray cans for $6. I use the spray cans for little stuff (brackets and such) and the brush on for the frame, axles, etc. You wouldn't think it would look good brushing it on but it smooths out nicely. I also tried a roller to speed up the process of painting my frame, but the paint is sticky enough that it pulled little fibers out of the roller pad and left "fuzzies" on my frame. Knocked most of them down with a scotch brite pad though. The paint, however, is VERY tough!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i too have used hammerite extensively throughout my jeep.. i love the stuff.. nuff as nails.. but gas will sure take it off in a hurry.. i had a fuel spill on a spot of the frame and it came off real easy.. but its still awesome.. i have used it on plastic as well.. and its even great there.. on that piece that goes around the steering coloumn.. and have had it on and off like 5 times.. no cracks or anything.. great stuff.. you should have one local hardware store that sells it.. in our town its the true value store..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode