Quadratrac Vacuum Switch - Moonguys??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadratrac Vacuum Switch - Moonguys???

I've searched and searched, but I can't find the thread that talks about converting the vacuum switch on a Q-trac with a pneumatic valve from Grainger or McMaster. Anyone know where I can find it? CJ DAVE????

Also I found some posts about testing the vac switch, but if my e-drive doesn't engage where should I start? What is there to check in the tcase?

Thanks!

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 08:55 PM
Official Historian

Re: Quadratrac Vacuum Switch - Moonguys???

start with pulling the vacuum lines off the transfer case shifter one at a time and seeing if there is vacuum while the engine is running. it you get vacuum in one line, turn the switch and see if the other has vacuum. if that checks out, the shift fork is not moving.

remove the access cover and have someone turn the knob back and forth while you feel for the fork moving. if it doesn't even try to move, you may need a new vacuum shifter. these are easy to replace but not so easy in the vehicle. there is an e-clip on each side of the shift fork that have to be removed and a little spring between the vacuum motor and the opening for the fork. then just pull the motor out and install a new one.

if it is trying to move, lift one tire off the ground. move the tire in the air back and forth while trying to slide the shift fork toward the front of the vehicle with your other hand. if it moves, your problem is vacuum. if it doesn't move, the swith indicating the transfer case is locked could be frozen and not allowing the fork to move forward all the way.

if you are just going by the light on the dash not being lit, ground the wire on the transfer case and see if it comes on.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 06:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Will, you and Dave are Q-trac scholars!!

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:21 AM
Official Historian

i'd still say dave is more knowledgeable though. i haven't done anything but replace parts. he's dug into the differential and modified it. mine has no resistance to turning so i don't need to modify mine. also with the front locker i won't be using full time on the street anymore anyway. the full time is nice off road though.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode