FS 78 CJ in STL, MO (pics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

FS 78 CJ in STL, MO (pics)

Well i really hate to do this. A bunch of you guys tried to help me fix my engine last week (the 304 that blew up)and i thank you for that but i think this was the straw that broke the camels back. My parents got fed up with it and itll have to go as is. So ill give a pretty good run down of whats on it. If you have questions or want to come see it give me a call 636-207-7669, email me, or post here.

Its almost all stock...
Drive train: 304 v8, t-150, and dana 20 all with 32000 on the rebuild. The engine will turn over and start but it wont run for long. The problem was the oilpump cover warped a little and froze the pump. Nows theres a knocking in it. Bummer! The tranny and t-case all work good. 4wd works as does 4low. Here is all the new stuff in the engine: waterpump, radiator, all wires and belts, battery, cat coverter, maifold gaskets, and some other little stuff. The alxes are the stock amc 20 and dana 30. Both were repainted about 10 years ago. 3.73 gears. Five brand new tires- 4 31 inch general grabbers and 1 wrangler with a new wagon wheel. Front axle has large dics and 6 bolt calipers. Rear has the stanard drums.
Body: I don't know how much you can see from these pics but... My origanl plan was to put a new tub on in the summer. This would have given me time to get the tools and the money. But once again back to the parents. The tub floor has been repared to make it safe. A thick steel plate has been welded in under the drivers side. The passenger side is much better but i rivited some new metal there too. The front clip is newer. No rust on that or the grill. Seats are new and from a wrangler- clothe w/ recline. Hardtop has a sun roof w/ all good glass. Doors were garaged for 15 years. They are the old style but are in awsome shape. I just put wrangler mirrors on them so i can see. The windshield frame and hinges are brand new as is the glass. All the gagues work. Heater and defrost works. Even the washer works. It was just safety and emmisions inspected- good for 2 more years. Good title as well.
I dont really know what to ask for it. I have $4560 and some change in it.I know i cant come close to that with out it running though so... Feel free to come by and look at it.Thanks - Tim

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: FS 78 CJ in STL, MO

Yeah my parents tried to make me sell my Jeep one time, and I "honestly" tried to sell it but no one wanted it... instead i worked them for $2500 loan until I sold the crappy VW we had to do my engine/tranny/tcase/axle swap... hehe kinda worked out for me, sorry you gotta sell, keep trying to get out of it!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

The sad part is they are really dead serious this time. Any ways heres the pics

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...230&a=10342844

sorry i dont know how to make it clickable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 11:36 PM
Old Hand

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...844&p=34907914

<font color=red>God</font color=red>,<font color=white>Guns</font color=white> & <font color=blue>Guts</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Made</font color=red> <font color=white>America</font color=white> <font color=blue>GREAT</font color=blue>!!
I VOTE[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] to keep all three!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:23 AM

What a horrible situation. The body doesn't look unreparable from what I can see.

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-277847-jeepturn.jpg (45.7 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for helping me get the pics up. Oh what a great bbs!!! I cant fix the tub is what i meant. I dont know how to weld and even if i did i dont have the tools to make it come out straight. I thought it was a great tub swap canidate because it has a nice frame and ran really well. That is untill the great oil pick up on the 304 struck again! Who designed that thing any way? anyways thanks for the help.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a good project.. I dont think you'll get what you want for it though.. Got alot of work.. Bring down the price alittle? I started my jeep with alot worse [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].. And now my parents tell me its time to go because I need a vehicle for college... but I'm thinking a TJ..

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

muddy- I totally KNOW i wont get what i have put into it. Thats not a price its just to let everyone know what ive got in it. Wish my parents would let me do a real project. I had to fight them hand tooth and nail to get them to this point. Howd you convince yours to let you rebuild a jeep?? I am killing myself to know what you said! Maybe I can get them to take it back before its toooo late....

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok i am dead serious when i ask this: Does anyone in the St. Louis metro area want to take a young jeeper under his wings? I have a pasion for building, above other things, Jeeps. I listen well and learn fast but dont really have the space to rebuild my jeep. Maybe if some one would offer to advise me on this project my parents might be a little more understanding . Thanks- Tim

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My parents had bought me a newer 95 wrangler about two years ago.. well I started doing wheeling and stuff and broke a few things.. fixed it up then decided that I wanted an old CJ7... and I told my parents I wanted to rebuild a jeep before I went off to college.. So I sold the Wrangler for a thousand more than what I bought it for about 7 months ago.. Then searched around looking for a good CJ7 w/ a running V8.. Found a peice for around $1000 my parents bought it for me.. Then I got a job and they saw how responsible I was then during the past summer I spent from about 6am to god know when that night (sometimes 2am/3am) fixing,taking apart, and rebuilding.. I grinded and sanded for about a week. Learned how to weld and fixed my floor panels. Then I started the thing up.. My parents saw how responsible I got and they said I can do whatever I want.. Now I need to sell the jeep and get a TJ or Later Model (95 YJ ..imagine that) because I need a more dependable Jeep for college.. But soon as I graduate.. You guessed it another CJ or dropping in a 350 in the TJ/YJ... Just depends.. Show them your responsible and get a job and pay for everything.. If you need help get your dad involved.. Trust me your parents will let in..

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode