ignition question guys and hood lock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 03:25 PM
Wrangler88

ignition question guys and hood lock

ok i purchased the " hook lock with igntion kill " from carparts.com got it yesterday , anyway the hood lock went on in like a half hour, and now the the ignition kill part right, well to operate the whole thing, u push what looks like the lock from a pop machine in, and the cable connected to that pin that slides in goes threw a piece of metal that makes the hood not able to be opened, now a wire from that lock comes out and is supposed be hooked to a wire coming from the distributer or igntion coil, it depends on vehicle, well after splicing into all my wires it nothing worked, so i'm assuming that the wire from the lock has a negavtive charge because its the ground, so what wire that goes to the igntion would i splice it to so that the igntion doesn't work? or even splice to the igntion coil? any ideas? please help, its a cool set up but desn't work btw its on a 95 wrangler 2.5L fuel injected.. thanks!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ignition question guys and hood lock

I've never heard of that lock...Sounds pretty cool, but the question is: Does it work??? Can you get a picture up of that thing? And what exactly do the directions say about wiring it up?

Tommy B. in AZ -
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 08:55 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: ignition question guys and hood lock

I've repalced a "in the grill" lock with that lock about 2 years ago. It's made by Audiovox. The cost was $30. It's a dead bolt system that cannot be accessed with the hood up. The kill switch wiring as well as the deadbolt cable are housed in a steal sheath. It's really quite a unique and nice hood lock for a Jeep.

The kill switch is just a relay that opens or closes contacts to a device you select to kill.

Try this wiring:

Pin 85 goes to ground
Pin 86 goes to a 12 volt source that's on ALL the time.

Follow these connections if you are cutting a wire to a device:

Pin 30/51 goes to one side of the wire feeding the device you want to kill.
Pin 87 goes to the other side of the wire feeding the device you want to kill.

If you plan to use the relay to control a device's 12 volt feed... do the same thing...

I think I have the install instructions scanned... somewhere...so if anyone wants to see the instructions... email me and I'll send it out.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode