Decent Paint Job - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Decent Paint Job

Ok my paint looks like crap, its all oxidized and gone in some places, I was just curious to how much a decent shop job would cost? I dont have the time or resources to paint it on my own right now, i just want it to look nearly as good as it runs...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 04:23 PM
WSB

Re: Decent Paint Job

Your best bet would be to get a couple of estimates from different shops
in your area. Price really depends on what you kind of overall quality your
looking for, how much prep work is required, what materials are used as well
as the quality of the materials used.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:07 AM
Old Hand

Like WSB said get a few estimates and don't be afraid to see if they will let you help out with some of the labor, sanding, tapping or what ever they would be willing to let you help out with, heck you might even learn something about it, I did.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Donnie

<font color=red>God</font color=red>,<font color=white>Guns</font color=white> & <font color=blue>Guts</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Made</font color=red> <font color=white>America</font color=white> <font color=blue>GREAT</font color=blue>!!
I VOTE[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] to keep all three!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guess i was looking for an easy.. anyone have an idea or what they paid so i can base the estimate of something? I want it to look good and last, and just the exterior, the interior of the tub is still looking good..

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7-350,
Painting is one of those things where you really do get what you pay for. If you get a $179 maaco job, expect it to look like sh*t, and last about 6 months. If you get a properly done $2000 paint job and take care of it, it theoretically should outlast the Jeep its on. The only way to save money is to do as much of the prep work as you can BEFORE the man paints it. The major cost of a paint job is LABOR. and the LESS work the paint and body man has to do, the MORE money you save. My advice: Get a quality paint job from a reputable body ahop, maybe one that does custom work, and do as much of the prep work as you can.

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 07:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to get out of it cheap, (somewhat) Then try and do the body work, sanding and the such yourself (make sure the shop you want to do allows this). The key to a paint job lasting is excellent prep work and quality paint and primer. Just the materials alone will cost at least $300, and then you have to figure that the guys in the shop make about $30 an hour. A good looking long lasting paint job will run you at least $1800, hence try and do some of the work yourself.

Tom

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:23 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, since the words "decent paint job" and a wheeling rig usually aren't used in the same sentence, I take it this is a daily driver? WSB is right, it's all about paint, labor, and quality. Are you looking for a show jeep? Any funky colors? How about body work? A cheap paint job will run $200, and is fine for a wheeling rig that'll get scraped up, but would not look good on a daily driver. For the daily driver, I'd look at about $800 to $1,000 for a decent job with decent paint that'll last. I'd take out everything you can and still be legal, then drive it to them. If you have a trailer it's even better, take everything off and haul it over, that way they have less to do and it will save some $$$.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, random question, has anyone ever sprayed the exterior of their tub in truck bedliner? I saw a friends sammy like this and it looked pretty cool and seemed like it was nice and protected...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen a Willy's Wagon Rhino lined red inside and out. It looked pretty good. They put an extra coat of the UV protectant on it to keep it from fading to pink. ORC did a product review of Durabak http://www.off-road.com/products/showcase/durabak.htm. There were links in this article that showed other Durabak rigs. There's about a dozen various Jeeps that have been Durabak'd on the exterior down in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. They looked pretty good too.... As for me and our trail rig, rattle, rattle, rattle, spray....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Easy to fix and it won't be seeing much street time...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode