Non-Jeep ?? Ford Tranny... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Non-Jeep ?? Ford Tranny...

Ok, I've searched all over for the answer to this one, and haven't found it. The Off-road ford bbs didn't say a thing in response to it. I've got a 1995 F-150 4x4 with a 300ci (4.9L) Straight Six. It's got the stock 5 spd tranny (Mazda (possibly called the R2??). Anyhow, the tranny is going south on me--bad synchros, etc. Instead of rebuilding it, I'd really like to swap in a different tranny. I'd like to keep the stock T-case and all (Borg Warner 1356?). My other requests? Something a bit heavier duty, with a lower (preferably granny) first gear, and an overdrive top gear. I know Ford used the 300 in F250's, 4wd and 2wd, with a different 5 spd tranny, but I'm not sure what it is, or what bolt pattern it has. I was hoping a resident Ford expert could help me out. Anyone know if the 300 shares a bellhousing with any other Ford engine...or anyone know what tranny to go looking for? Thanks,
Dean

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Non-Jeep ?? Ford Tranny...

The 300 shares the bellhousing pattern of the small block fords, the big 5speed ford transmission is a ZF, the ZF tranny has the bellhousing cast integral with tranny, so a diesel tranny is different from a big block, and a big block is different from a small block tranny. the 2wd tranny is different from the 4wd version, needless to say, there are a ton of different ZF models. Your best bet is to find an F-250 4 wd with a small block motor, and rob the transmission,transfer case,and all the minor hardware.

good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode