need help with 258 power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help with 258 power

I have an 88 wrangler with the 258 6. It has a weber carb and a header, other than that it is stock. Oh, and it has an accel coil and wires too. I want to get rid of all the unneccesary stuff under the hood, like the nonfuncioning emmissions stuff. I want to keep the egr valve I think right? What can I do to improve the power of this engine without spending a ton of money? I would love to rebuild the bottom and throw on a 4.0 head, but that is just not in the budget right now. Also, how do I properly tune a weber? I don't think I am getting very good performance out of it, and also am only getting 13 mpg. The jeep is stock height with 30" tires. I just think I could be doing better in power and economy...any tips are appreciated.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help with 258 power

Be careful with all the "non-functioning" emmissions equipment.....it may look like it isn't doing anything but I've heard horror stories of people hacking it all out and the engine never running right again. However, if you do get any info on what you can take out to gain performance, let us know!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you checked the Off-Road/Jeep tech section under "Engine"? There is a complete section (several pages) on the 258 emissions systems. I think it is called "Understanding Your 258".
I disconnected ALL my emission junk, except EGR valve, oxygen sensor, and vapor canister. Did the HEI conversion. I put on a Weber 32 and it runs like a new engine. And, my goodness IT IDLES. Who would have thunk it - a 258 that idles smoothly??!!
Hope this was helpful!

Lowrange
Email: [email protected]
87 Wrangler, 4.2L, Weber carb., HEI, AX-15, Procomp 2 1/2" lift, Procomp 3000's, Superwinch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 04:18 PM
sas87yj

mine idles perfectly![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
all stock under hood with all the smog goodies. didn't run too good when i got it but after tune-up, egr valve, cto valve, heat sensor, and new rebuilt carter carb-----
don't know much you can do to gain horsepower with bolt-on goodies.
maybe max out with an edlebrock manifold and holly carb but will it pass smog in your state?
duel exhaust?
i get 20 mpg. 13 doesn't sound right.
how about check timing, new plugs and set carb for better milage?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:00 AM

when I installed my Webber and HEI I ditched most of the emissions stuff too. You just have to be careful and leave those vacuum hoses that are required to engage the front axle when you put it in 4x4.... Get a passenger-side shaft from a XJ and replaces your with it to get around that problem...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I removed my pulse air system, but kept the cat-con and EGR valve. Capped off the tubes in the air cleaner with 3/4" rubber caps. Capped off the tube in the exhaust as well as the cat-con tube. Put golf tees in the vacuum lines that used to go to the pulse air valves and hid them so the emissions people wouldn't notice anything missing. Installed the TR upgrade and the thing runs cherry... I passed emissions and visual inspection the day after Thanksgiving..I'm thinking the reason I passed the visual is because everything looked in place, no dangling vacuum lines etc...

Tommy B. in AZ -
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forgot to mention mine gets 16mpg, but it's an automatic and I drive a lot of freeway over 70mph.....

Tommy B. in AZ -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode