Factory White Steel Wheels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Factory White Steel Wheels

Hey guys, I have the factory white painted steel wheels on my 87 YJ.....They are starting to show a little rust and I want to sand them down and repaint them my self, one at a time. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to tackle this, how to strip the paint and what type of paint to use to repaint them?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 11:18 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Factory White Steel Wheels

I've used "wheel paint" from wal-mart wtih good success. I think it's made by dupli-color, but I don't remember. It says "Wheel paint" on the spray can. Seems to hold up pretty well, I did the rims on my winter tires in silver with it. Sand the rim down good by hand, dust it off good, mask off the tire, and have a go at it!

If you want to get really serious, have the tire taken off, get the rim sandblasted, prime and paint, etc., etc.

Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Pete, drop the tire, sand blast, prime, and paint...

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Problem is, where do I get them sandblasted?? Will a body shop do work like that?? I was thinking of renting a sanding maching to do the work, even though I know sandblasting would be better.......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sanding them won't work the best...too many nooks and crannies to get into. Sandblasting or beadblasting is definetly the way to go. Yeah, an autobody shop or a wheel shop will do it for you, although you could just rent a sandblaster for a day and do it yourself in an hour or so...and sandblast all those other toys you've got that need to be painted. Then you can just wash 'em, prime 'em, and paint 'em. If you wanted to go whole hog, you could take them to a big-truck tire place, and they'd bead blast them and powder coat them for you. Never need paint again!!!

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 04:10 PM
sas87yj

if you have a compressor you can sandblast yourself![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
can buy an attachment from say home depot for less than $30 and a bag of silica sand from same place and blast!
no problema!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 08:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Whatch your bucks dude. We sell those white spoke wheels for like 45 bucks each and thats CAN $ . Dont want to spend to much on them .

Jeff

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Why does everyone always ask<font color=blue><font color=black> " So what did you get done on your Jeep today ? "</font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode