Ford rotors - Jeepgod or Mangler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Ford rotors - Jeepgod or Mangler?

I am having a hard time locating Ford rotor/hub assemblies for my waggie project; the usual yard I frequent has nothing; another one I use has a lot, but they want forty bucks apiece for them; as I will replace the rotors with new, in essence I just need the hub assembly. In browsing through a new yard today (just love finding new junkyards) I found two assemblies, drivers side off of 78 Bronco and passenger side on 82 Bronco. These will work, right? One lockout turns only a quarter before locking, the other one turns almost a full turn, much like my current Dana 30 hub. Important, not important? They are 15 apiece, much more in line with what I am willing to pay. I have the chevy spindles. What about the stub axles? My donor was 78 or 76 waggie; can I reuse the outer stubs? Mangler, you used chevy stub axles? Nice write-ups on your websites, they have been a lot of help, thanks for the additional.

Oh, and calipers. Are the Waggie calipers and the chevy calipers the same. I noticed you each used different ones.

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:09 PM

Re: Ford rotors - Jeepgod or Mangler?

The hubs you found can be used regardless of the two years you have...they are both the same. Don't worry about the amount of turn on the locking hubs, that just depends on the maker of the hub. The stub axles you'll be able to use also. I think mangler used a different stub axle because he had a scout front end which uses a similiar axle shaft to the dana 30. The waggie and gm calipers are exactly the same, so that's not a problem either.

Good luck
Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body w/ tied in full cage

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:09 PM

Max,
Your stock Waggie axle stubs will work.
The two different side hubs and rotors will also work.
You may eventually want to go to a Premium set of Warn locking Hubs, also hang on to your stock Waggie Drive hubs and keep them as spares in case you have problems in the field with the locking hubs. I noticed when I did mine that the Chevy and Waggie calipers both fit fine, but the Chevys that I had were bigger, and also required a larger banjo fitting than the Jeep caliper.
Sounds like your getting close.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, Jeff I was planning on using Warn premiums. I found a site last week selling them (1/2 ton Ford) for $64, pretty reasonable I thought. Plowed snow all night, just had four hours of quality sleep, now I'm off to the salvage.

Max

the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 08:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i just used the wagoneer calipers.. since i got new ones for 11 bucks a pop.. cant beat the price..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for the delay

>>>>>but they want forty bucks apiece for them; as I will replace the rotors with new, in essence I just need the hub assembly.
****** A brand new hub and rotor assembly complete with Rotor, Hub, bearing races, and wheel studs all installed and ready to go is only $72 from Autozone. I really wish i knew this, as this is what i would have done.

In browsing through a new yard today (just love finding new junkyards) I found two assemblies, drivers side off of 78 Bronco and passenger side on 82 Bronco. These will work, right?
***** Yes sir. I believe 66-86 are pretty much all identical

>>>>>One lockout turns only a quarter before locking, the other one turns almost a full turn, much like my current Dana 30 hub. Important, not important?
***** You will probably be replacing the hubs with Warns no?

>>>>>They are 15 apiece, much more in line with what I am willing to pay. I have the chevy spindles. What about the stub axles? My donor was 78 or 76 waggie; can I reuse the outer stubs?
***** Chevy of Wag stub spindles will work so Yes

>>>>>Mangler, you used chevy stub axles?
***** Yes, 78 blazer i think

>>>>>Nice write-ups on your websites, they have been a lot of help, thanks for the additional.
***** Thanks, glad to see you like it.

>>>>>Oh, and calipers. Are the Waggie calipers and the chevy calipers the same. I noticed you each used different ones.
***** Well at Autozone i tried to get 79 wag calipers and they didnt have any. I then said 73 blazer and they had them. I had Wag cores and they were 100% the same and cost a Whopping $12.99

NOTE: I noticed that doing this conversion moved the wheels out exactly 1" more on each side than they were with the Dana30 hubs and knuckles i had on there before. Anyone else notice this??

Good Luck Man

Any questions feel free

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

only thing you need to watch out for with those hubs.. is in the mid 80's.. ford starting going to the automatic hubs.. but if they put a limited slip in the front they stuck the manual hubs on it.. i want to say in 86..
so if you see something newer than that.. with manual hubs.. then it has a limited slip most likely.. and you can use those manual hub assemblies.

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:21 AM

Just one other note, you can go later than 86 on the hubs and rotors. I took mine off of a Junked 95 Bronco, with Warn locking Hubs already installed. Everything went together with no problems.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 05:24 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I just did the ball joints in my 90 bronco, and I noticed the same thing. Even the spindles were the same 6 bolt that are needed for the conversion. I wonder if my wife will let me strip my daily driver to finish my jeep????? Probably not!!!

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Now why exactly do you need to change the spindles? I just slipped one of the ford rotors onto the waggie spindle and it seems like a pretty good fit. I don't yet have the gm spindles in my possession, so can't compare them.

Max

the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode