Digital camera? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Digital camera?

OK, so I'm looking for a digital camera to use, mainly for taking pics of the jeep mods. I may use it on the occasional trail ride, but I have my regular cameras for that. I know there is a lot out there, and expensive, but I'm looking for something cheap. Any ideas? It would need a flash, but otherwise ??? I know a lot about regular cameras (used to be a photographer), but nothing about digitals. I'm looking to get out of this as cheaply as I can as well. Thanks guys.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:12 PM

Re: Digital camera?

I think the cheapest yet still versatile is the Dimera 3500 (also marketed as the Relisys 3500, Mustek 3500, and Systemax 3502). You should easily be able to find one for around $100 or less. It has flash, a timer, and uses smaller memory cards that come in 2mb and 4mb capacities...max res is 640x480. I think it's the perfect camera for greasy, grimy hands in the garage and in the muck & dust out on the trail. I've had mine for a little over a year and am pleased with the bang for the buck. If I want to get a bit more serious, I bring home the $500+ Kodak DC-280 that I bought for the office. If you move up to the $250-300 neighborhood, then you get additional features like higher res, the standard memory cards, LCD display, etc.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:12 PM
FlMudCJ

The three basics. Megapixels, Memory, and Computer hookup.

The more megapixels, the sharper the picture is. 1.3 is now considered low end, 3.3 is the minimum I'll buy. Memory, based on how many pictures you want stored. I saw a good chart at Service Merchandise as I was glancing at their selection, I can't remember any numbers, but for the most part, memory is upgradeable. Connection, is how you transfer the pictures to the computer. By far the best method I've seen is the Sony Maciva. It has a built in floppy drive that accepts 3.5" floppies. It only has 1.3 megapixel resolution however. Some versions also have a movie function that works suprisingly well. But I digress. A USB connection of some kind is popular today, and straight serial connections are purely antiquated. I've heard that the new sony is decent, but that the epson is very good. I'd stay away from non-name brand cameras personally. Kodak are ok, but look for a fit and feel, as well as trying them out, see how easily you adapt to the functions of the camera. The people you buy from should allow you to operate the camera, hopefully. I haven't found the perfect camera for me, and I don't think they're going to make a hi-rez floppy access camera. oh well... guess I'll have to comprimise.

hope that helps some

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:15 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you plan on ever printing out 8 x 10 prints, you will have to get a camera with at least 2.1mega pixels. If you only plan on 5 x 7 prints, you can get away with a 1 mega pixel camera. I don't know what your price range is, but I just picked up a HP 315 2.1 mega pixel camera from best buys for $299. I would try and find one with 2.1mp. Once you start taking pictures with the digital camera, you won't even touch a regular camera again. You can even upload your images to www.shutterfly.com and they will print them out for a small fee and mail them to your house. I just got my first set back from them, and they look better than 35mm pictures. It is truely unbelievable the quality of these pictures. If you have any other questions, feel free to give me an email.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been using the RCA model that Radio Shack sells right now for just under $300. It's a 1.5 megapixel camera, that's in today's market is now considered below average, but would work for what you are looking to do... It will let you select 3 different picture qualities, and has a built-in flash. You can review the pictures as soon as you take them and then delete if not what you wanted. LCD screen you can use or turn off to save battery power. It came with all the hardware to hook into the computer or view on a TV. It also comes with a power hook up, so you can use it plugged in. (I think you may have to buy a standard computer style power cord for it (three prong female connector in the back of your system). It has included software, which I threw away and use something else for just plain ease... I'd imagine the software is pretty easy to use. It comes with a single memory card which allow 20-70 pictures depending on quality selected. But you can go back and view and delete as desired. Extra memory cards I don't know the cost, but you can swap out full ones untill you get back and download the pics... It also has a built in zoom. I have used mine quite often in the past year, and with a good printer you can reproduce 8x10 pictures on glossy paper that look pretty good. Not as high quality as real photos, but for my use, close enough.

If you're really board, check out:

http://www.blazing-bites.com

You can surf around and look at different hot sauces, salsas, chili mixes, the baskets, etc. All taken with this camera... and pretty poor lighting in my kitchen.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you have with digital photography. It's one of those few things out there, you usually get what you pay for...

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:42 PM

The one I got a few days ago is my first so that`s how much experience I have with them. It`s a Fuji FinePix 1400 Zoom. It`s compact, built in flash and adjustable flash mode, 1.3 mega pixels, 3x optical and 2x digital zoom, 1.8" LCD, uses the thin SmartMedia cards. Came with a 4mb card. Cards come in sizes up to 32 or 64mb. I seen the 16mb cards for $40 somewhere. Takes either 1280x960 or 640x480. USB connection. Didn`t come with a power adapter but had a battery charger and 4 rechargeable batteries. It was $299. Takes excellent pics for what I need it for.

Jeff
<font color=red>`75 CJ-5,304,T-18/D300,</font color=red>
<font color=white>SOA w/YJ springs,D30/D44,</font color=white>
<font color=blue>Always under construction</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 04:30 PM
sas87yj

yeah i have been thinking of buying one also![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i saw an ad today at walgreens for one by polaroid for $57 less a $12 rebate! this can't be? i'm going to check it out and i forget the specs ie pixels(what the heck are those?).
if it can shove a decent pic onto the computer it would be worth it!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 06:51 PM
sas87yj

ok i found it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
resolution(pixels per photo):
there are 4 main ranges of digital camera resolution:
1600x1200=high quality 8"x10" to 11"x14" pic size
1280x960= high quality 5"x7" pic size
1024x768= high quality 4"x6" pic size
640x480= thumbnail size prints

megapixel: refers to cameras with resolutions of 1024x768 and higher. high resolution photos use more memory.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 07:17 PM
sas87yj

well i guess i'm shopping now![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
costco is usually where i end up and again they win....
fuji for $229
1.3 mil pixels
1280x960 max resolution
4 mb smart media card
2x digital zoom
1.6" lcd
focal range- 3.9" to infinity

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

So what was the one at Walgreens? I appreciate all the info to date, it's helping a lot. Brings some understanding to the 1.1, 2.1, 3.3, etc. Any further insight out there?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode