FSJ Model 20 axle question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FSJ Model 20 axle question

Well, the old 258 is out of the Jeep, and the shiny new "blueprinted" 258 is ready to go in [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img], so now its time to start thinking about the next mod, which is probably axles. Is anyone familiar with the FSJ Model 20, what I'm wondering about is if my Detroit Locker I have in the SWB Model 20 will fit in an FSJ 20. Reason being, I want to go to fs axles, I'll use a 44 up front. But, it sure would be nice to save $450 by reusing the Detroit I already have. I consider the 20 a decent setup, and from what I understand the FSJ one has thicker tubes and one piece axles.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:04 PM

Re: FSJ Model 20 axle question

I don't know about locker interchangability but the fsj 20 does have thicker tubes, 1 peeice axles, and is much beffer. You might be able to sell your 20 W/ a detroit for the same price as a d44 detriot and then you would have matched axles.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought briefly about that, but IMO the 44 is a step down from the 20, especially one with beefier tubes and 1 piece axles. The 44 will be fine for the front, but not for the back with 35-36 inch tires IMO. Anyway, we've been down this road before, I don't want to start it up again!

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 10:25 AM

I could throw the ford 8.8 issue in just for good measure, and stir the pot, hehehe. Just kidding!!! You should look at the 20 on the early 80s Grand Waggys, I think they might have a slightly off set center section, but not enough to be concerned with. Im not sure if you will be able to get both axles off of the same vehicle. But I think so. I think that when the Grand Waggy went to the D44 rear was the same time they went to the driver side drop. So an early 80s ahould be the HD 20 rear and D44 pasenger side drop.
Good luck.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got around to calling Randy's, I got my Detroit from them so I figured they'd be the ones to call. They said that the internals on an fsj 20 are the same as the CJ 20, if that is the case a savings of $450 is not hard to take. My gears will even fit if I so choose.

Brad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff is right, I got a friend with an 83 Grand Waggy and it has the HD20 rear and a passenger side D44 front... im not aware of the 20 being a little bit off center, looked pretty even to me, either way nothing to worry about.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 03:07 PM
brendan

would a 2-piece model 20 have a large nut at the axle flange? Mine doesn't but I thought that I had a 2 piece axle.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 09:03 PM
Official Historian

brendan: from your sparse profile i assume you're asking about your j10? they have the heavy duty amc 20 with one piece axles as well. only the cj's (maybe some amc cars?) had the two piece axle.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 09:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tyhe amc 20 allways looks slightly offcentered because one tube is longer than the other.. but the pinion sits to the side, and is actually centered.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

WILL, dont quote me on this, but i think Alec78CJ and I saw a Matador in a U-Pull-It a while back that had a coil sprung AMC Model 20 and i think t had 1 piece axles from the factory, i could be wrong, maybe he'll see this and post....

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode