"issues" - Compression Check Done -Results - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\"issues\" - Compression Check Done -Results

These are the results of the compression check on my 304Dry Wet
#1 120psi
#2 115psi
#3 120psi
#4 120psi
#5 122psi
#6 118psi
#7 120psi
#8 30PSI - THERE IT IS 60psi-to little oil?

So is it the ring in the 8th cyclinder?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 03:50 PM

Re: \"issues\" - Compression Check Done -Results

it might also be a burnt valve on #8, since it only came up to 60, or that ring took some major cylinderwall/piston with it.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 04:19 PM
FlMudCJ

I had a burnt valve on my 304, #2 exhaust if I remember correctly. I never did a wet check, but the compression was around 25-30. My jeep never smoked tho, and the brunt valve wouldn't really vent into the crankcase, just the intake or exhaust...

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 04:25 PM

most likely its not a burnt valve, but it isnt just a broken ring, going from 30 to 60 with oil. its a hole in the piston or a groove in teh cylinder wall akin to the marianas trench

OzarkJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well the exhaust doesnt have any gas coming from it.. if that helps, but the thing is smoking from the Oil Cap. The PCV Valve was replaced first. I checked the compression and everything.. Ozark what are my options here?

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 08:52 PM

since you asked me , Ill tell you what I would do, in fact what I actually did Do when my 304 crapped out.

I pulled it out, saved the crank, the rods, and the tin ware ( valve covers, oil pan, distributer, oops I actually sold that to CJdave.)
then I took the rest to the local scrap yard, and got $7.89 for it, then I dropped in the 360 I had rebuilt a year before.

I would not drop ONE cent on a 304, unless you absolutely CANNOT find a 360, the rebuild kits for a 304 ( and you are going to at the very least need a complete rebuild) are more than rebuild kits for a 360.

just find a 360 core, or running engine, and start there, it might be couple of $$ more now, but way better spent money in the long run.

this all of course assumes you are happy with the rest of your drivetrain.

if you dont likethte auto and Qtrack, then maybe its time to think chevy or Ford, or V6 or deisel engine swap, but from reading your posts and trying to help with your questions I really dont think your equipped for that type of swap.

probably better off to buy a crate 360 and drop it in, even pay a buddy to help if you need it.

OzarkJeep

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.. I just got my TH400 rebuilt, I'm running a Dana 20 though I got an adapter and installed a Dana 20 I pulled from another jeep.. I know I can do the engine swap. I am thinking about selling this jeep as soon as it runs well.. So whats the best/cheapest means, but if I decide to keep how much would a 360 cost?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 04:57 AM

first you are going to nhave to pull the head on that side and see for sure whats up.

ive got a standard set of pistons/rods for a 304 so its possible if your a real cheapass you could swap hte #8 piston, if the cylinder isnt too bad.

mine had 30 psi, and when I opened it up it looked like it had ingested some nuts and bolts bad damage to the block, it would have required a few sleeves ( at $100 a pop).

so cheapest would probably be a used running engine in the $200-$500 range.

OzarkJeep

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So I'm guessing either way I look at it the 360 running would probably be the best bet? Uhm.. I'm going to a friend's shop today and I am going to get some help disassembling it and checking everything.. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode