OnBoard Air Problem!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 06:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OnBoard Air Problem!!

Hey Guys,

Over the weekend I put my A/C compressor in the jeep and tried it out. I have a question.

Its a chevy Air compressor (not a piston type if that makes a difference) I bought a "air tool" oiler which you just fill it with oil and it sucks it through the a/c compressor. Well, the oil was gone within a few minutes. Is that right? Is there anything larger that I can use so I don't have to worry about it?

I got a 7gal tank from PepBoys and I am going to mount it inside the jeep behind my seats. Right now I just need to figure out this oiling deal and than hook everything up.

I was able to use an air ratchet with no problems, the impact wrench was a bit rough...lol.

All in all I was pleased.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 07:42 AM
FlMudCJ

Re: OnBoard Air Problem!!

I've heard that you should have an oiler on the input and a strainer on the output. The strainer should be setup to automatically drain back and re-fill the oiler with all of the oil that has already gone through the compressor. Remember, you don't want that oil in your tank. If you are setup that way, the other possibility is that the compressor was dry of all oil, and now the oil your missing is simply giving the compressor a good lube...

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

Are you saying that once the compressor has "enough" oil in the system that it won't pull more through? So it will only need to be filled when it needs more?

Any info on that strainer you are talking about that automatically puts it back in the compressor? I would really like to get one of those so I don't have to worry about it.

Also, Should I use refrig. oil? or what kind of oil? Thanks.

I was really impressed with how everything worked. Once I figure out this oil problem I will mount everything and take some pictures.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 08:39 AM

That tool oiler you used was not a good choice, or it needs to be adjusted. You need an adjustable drip type oiler that you can set a rate on. Or you can just periodicaly oil the compressor and let it go at that. Too much oil in the system will create problems for you in some of the uses you apply the air to. With air tools being the exception.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't believe there is any adjustment able to be made. I am up for suggestions on what I need. An adjustable oil drip?? Any suggestions on where one of these things can be found?

Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:33 AM
FlMudCJ

They make filters and air/oil seperators. Some have manual drains and others have automatic. i'm not sure exactly how they work, but you might be able to rig a manual drain to drip back into the oiler, in which case there shouldn't be a problem. I've heard of people rigging an automatic drain that just empties straight back to the intake on the compressor, and doesn't use the air oiler. Also, the oiler might not work properly if it isn't presurised...? just a thought. I don't know...

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 01:47 PM

Any parts supplier for pneumatic systems will carry a drip style oiler from 1/4" to 3/8" or up depending on what you might want to use or spend for this.
GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, you can just buy an oil/water separator that will plumb on the output side of the compressor...it'll separate out the water/oil. If you get one with a manual drain valve, you can run a little rubber line from that valve back to the oil resorvoir for the oiler, and just barely crack the valve, so it will pressurize a bit and blow oil out the bottom of the separator, through the line, and back to the oiler. I had my York setup like that for a while. The only problem, then, is that the separator is taking all the nasties, pollution, dirt, dust, water...and the oil, and reinputting them in the system. It's sending water and dirt back through the compressor again. That's probably better than running the compressor dry, though. You've got one of those rotary compressors. You could try filling it with Slick 50 or something and running it a bit and then relubing it...or you could do the drip oiler thing (not too familiar with that to be honest), or you could do the separator plumbed into the oiler. They have those nifty separators with a manual valve at Sears, among other places. I'd reccomend against running it dry, though.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On my rotary compressor i set up an in line oiler from graingers just like you would use on any large compressor at home on air powered equip at work it has a one pint cup and is adjustable for oil feed. on the inlet i use a small k&n filter to trap any dirt first the inlet and exhaust ports are 3/8 pipe. on the outlet of the compressor i use a coaslating filter to remove the oil and any water with the oiler set at wide open it only drips about 2 drops per second at idle and after many trips airing up 33" tires it has only used about 1/2 pint of air tool oil. all parts were picked up at grainger for about $40.00 hope this helps.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an air line that I use for air tools only. It has a little in-line oiler on the end where the tool plugs in. This little oiler is about 1.25" in diameter and maybe 1.5" long (round). Holds a half dozen tablespoons of oil, maybe. Since it is on the end of the line next to the tool, it does not contaminate the line in case I want to use the line for something else. The way I am set up, a "T" attached to the filter off the air tank, I run a clean line as well as the oiled line and don't need to remove the oiler, but if I only had a single air line, the oiler could be put on a quick disconnect and be removed when necessary.

This little oiler was very cheap, just a few dollars, and it seems to work quite well. It is a clear plastic cylinder so it is very easy to see when new oil is needed. New oil does need to be added frequently, but not so often as to be a nuisance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode