Looks like I am finally build my Scrambler. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks like I am finally build my Scrambler.

It looks like I am going to spend a lot of money, and build the Scrambler I have been thinking about. Probably be ordering the fiberglass body later this week from Four wheel drive hardware. I will get the top and divider from CJ8'ER, if he will ship it. I figured I was going to spend almost as much going with a used steel body (wrangler) and still not have what I really want, and that is a CJ8. Going to bob it, and that scares me as it has been about 8 years since I have done any fiberglass or bodywork, but I was a autobody technition ( fancy name for Bodyman ) for 7 years. I might be a little rusty, but it should be well within my capabilities. After seeing the Flat CJ and Wrangler fenders, I am wondering if I can fabricate something like that. Looks like I am going to have a lot of itchy days when I start the fiberglass work. The only thing that is making this hard, is I keep thinking that this money might be better spent doing heavier axles and bigger tires, and The NV4500 swap. If I do this, The axles and tires aren't going to happen, but I still hope to do the NV4500 swap. Tires and axles would be a lot less expensive, and this is a trail rig, so this is going to be a very hard decision. Does any one have opinions on this? My final decision will be made by Saturday. I have been doing some pricing, and it looks like I will be able to do this for around $4500, including the Tranny swap. Do you think it is worth putting that much more money into, basically, a trail only rig?

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Looks like I am finally build my Scrambler.

if it is a trail rig then spend less on the body and paint and put the $$$where it matters. a pretty paint job doesn't do any good if you are broken down on the trail. also i personally don't like fiberglass for a trail rig. as you already know a trail rig WILL see bodydamage and the fiberglass bodys are not as well suited for this. this is just my opinion. good luck with the build up.

remember build it once, build it big.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 08:33 AM

Wow! You just missed out on a great deal on a decent Scrambler project out your way a couple of weeks ago. Personally, I couldn't see buying a brand new $1500+ fiberglass tub and hacking it up to bob it and then thrash it off road...especially in light of it being a choice between the body and some beefy running gear. Since you're an experienced bodyman, why not buy a used YJ tub for around $400-800 and stretch it to fit the bobbed configuration? One more thing...take the calculatuons that you did and double them and then you'll probably be looking at a more realistic number [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your want the NV4500, then consider the diesel version. They are more plentiful, b/c most people think that they won't work behind the gas engine. They will. You can use the AA bellhousing, just the bering retainer will be different. The diesel verison has a larger front tapered berrings, the gas version has smaller front berrings. Instead of buying the AA modified berring retainer, just modify the diesel version on a lathe. This will save you some $, especially if you already have acess to a lathe. Contact me if you want the specifications that I used. You will also get a little better tranny, larger berrings=better.

I found a used Dodge 4x4 diesel NV4500 for $800. $200 AA bellhousing, dual friction clutch, gold pressure plate, throughout berring, clutch fork, clutch hydro. slave cylinder, etc. Much cheaper than a new NV4500, of which I will have no chance in breaking.

Just a little hint on saving some money.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I allready have the NV4500. It is a fairly rare 6.34 low GM tranny. The only reason it isn't in my Jeep yet is because I own a CJ5. I did decide this a little late to get a good deal on a Four wheel drive hardware body.  off until Dec 8th, and I was really going to try to holdout to see if I couldn't find a somewhat clean CJ7 or Wrangler. With everything I am planning on buying from 4wph, It would have been close to a $400 savings. Right now only time will tell, A used tub would save me between $700-$1000, and starting with another Jeep would cost me as much as building a fiberglass body Jeep. I am a little scared about running fiberglass. When I rolled my 5, it cost me a windsheild and winsheild frame, And bent the fenders down a little, Put some unfixable dents in the hood, but for $200 I was back to trail ready. The only real problem with my CJ5 body is, it is starting to rust pretty bad, and is bent at the firewall. It dosen't bother me during Summertime topless wheeling, But wintertime is sure drafty. Very happy with my second heater, it has been in the teens and 20's, and I have been pretty comfortable driving to work. I have a feeling nothing will warm it up at highway speeds. Well I do have until Saturday to make this choice, and thank everyone for there input.

Thanks, Ray

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 10:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

my fiberglass tub has been pounded mrecilessly... it shrugs off things that would truly mangle steel..heres another idea... put the $$$inot the axles.. but get highway gears and a t-18.. use the rest of the $$$ for a 4 to 1 x-fer case kit.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some more good ideas, but I allready am running a granny T18, and the 4.88 gears are allready in my axles. I have a d20 transfercase, so I could go with a 3.15 lowrange. The NV 4500 really wouldn't help me on the trail, but would make some of the 40 plus mile drives to some of the trails a little nicer, and I have the tranny just waiting to go into something. Just put in some new syncros, and bearings. It came out of my 94 GMC. Had a messed up 3rd gear, and 3-4 syncro assy. I had a hard time finding those parts, and had to get the GMC on the road again, so I bought a new tranny.

Thanks, Ray

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 08:09 PM
Veteran

When I did my buildup I agonized over the steel/glass tub dilema for a Lonnng time before I hesitantly decided on glass. The fear of rust won me over. But during the project I became VERY happy that I went with glass. There were a few dimensional issues here and there. Things weren't "quite" the same as factory here and there but nothing major at all. What really won me over was how easy glass was to fix and/or modify. Some changes that would have ended up meaning days of work we accomplished in hours. Putting my TJ flares on meant spitting the inner fender in half and completely removing it from the outter fender so it could be reattached a little further to the rear. Start to finish maybe 1 1/2 hrs for both fenders. Blending the front of the fender to the new flares so I wouldn't have to put up with the nasty gap you have if you just bolt the flare on. Maybe an hour or so and no additional prep that would be required if trying to do the same thing with a steel fender. I liked the fact that if there was something that I didn't like or wanted to add/change/relocate I could just whip out the resin, some glass mat, and go to town and be done in a matter of hours. From a trail use point of view I guess glass "may" crack or break where a steel part may just bend or dent BUT that cracked glass will be a whole lot easier to repair back to as new condition. Do enough of that with steel and pretty soon you end up with body filler all over the place.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, it looks like 4WP as extended the discount for 2 weeks. It would be hard to take a new fiberglass body, cut it up, make it look nice, and then go beat it up. It looks like my best option is to find a fairly clean CJ7, or Wrangler. This would allow me to do some drivetrain upgrades, and keep costs reasonable, and I could still use a Scrambler half cab for the Winter. I have decided that this is going to be my last project, because of future responsabilaties, and drivtrain strength might be more important then a solid rust free body, so I am still not sure on the fiberglass body. It sounds like most of you guy are leaning away from spending the extra money on fiberglass, and I see your reasoning, so I am starting to sway that way, because even though I need a new body, drivetrain upgrades might be better for a trail rig. Dec 22 is my new deadline, Damn, now I am starting to sound like algore. Might have to get some court intervention to help me decide this one.

Thanks, Ray

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:16 AM

What about using a steel CJ6 body? I suppose these aren't the easiest things to find though.

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode