Off-road Essay - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Off-road Essay

Oh yeah!My teacher asked us to write a "college essay" and we could choose out of a few different topics...I chose tell about yourself or your hobbies, or something that had affected your life.These were like essays you write when applying or somthing of that matter.Well here is the story of a few jeeps...
In the short time between school, homework, and Target, my free time is most enjoyed off-road in my Jeep. Chandler, Clayton, and the bass pond will keep me occupied for years to come. As long as I have a Jeep I will continue my quest to explore more trails such as The Rubicon, or Moab.
The first Jeep I purchased was a 1986 Cherokee Laredo. At the time the four-wheel drive didnít work and I didnít care much. Weeks later I could be found cutting through the occasional field or going through a little mud. I soon learned the need for four wheel drive after a few scary situations last summer. It was about 1 A.M. and I was driving in a ditch with slippery grass from morning dew. In the ditch there was a tall grassy hill that I was thinking about driving up. With a little encouragement from my friend, I charged up the hill and as I reached the crest, my tires started slipping, as did obscenities. We slowly descended backwards down the hill, because the brakes werenít doing their job. The pace picked up, and fear and uncertainty were riding shotgun as we turned 90 degrees on the hill. I thought a roll was inevitable as we were sliding sideways, so I hit the throttle and we slid around and then the Jeep were facing the bottom of the hill.
A few weeks later I got the four wheel drive working, and since then Iíve put my passengers through more fear and fun. Ignorance and adrenalin had got me high centered in the cold raining boonies, up to my knees in mud. Iíve quickly taken note of a few essentials you need to bring with you; a friend with a four-wheel drive equipped vehicle, a tow strap, and a cell phone for extra piece of mind. The cell phone has saved me a lot of trouble a few times. It rescued me and a few of my friends from the boonies at 3 in the morning and saved my friend Chris, his friend and I a long walk.
A tow strap and experienced drivers canít always help you. A few months ago Chris and I went to the bass pond to go four wheeling. It had rained quite a bit the day before and the place was flooded with water and mud. We were having fun for a while and Chris stopped, and he contemplated driving through a big puddle of water in front of his Cherokee that was near waist high. He got the go ahead from his friend and he made it about halfway before his car died. He has a hole in his muffler and it inhaled water. I pulled him out and he couldnít get the jeep started. Chrisí friend called one of her friends and asked him to come out so he could bring them home. We found out that I would have to pull him to the front of the field, which was a decent ways away and through quite a bit of obstacles. I started driving while he was steering his crippled jeep. I avoided as much mud as possible and made my own trail. In my attempt to do this I ran into some mud that I didnít notice. My tires started flinging up mud and it was soon hopeless. We couldnít pull the strap off his Cherokee because it had no slack and we couldnít manage to push Chrisí Jeep. The only way I could get out is if I pulled Chrisís Jeep with me. Luckily their friend came out in his pathfinder and pulled me out. We made it out all right and he got his car running a few hours later when he came back.
About three weeks ago I sold the Cherokee and got a CJ-5. It was quite scary at first, but Iíve installed seatbelts and a few other accessories. The CJ-5 makes my Cherokee feel like a new Cadillac, but the CJ just canít be beat off-road. I havenít got stuck in it, and Iíve easily conquered things I formally thought were impossible. I love the feeling of slipping the transfer-case into Lo-gear and scaling a steep rocky hill, or crawling through water thatís so deep that itís more suitable for a boat. My feelings are expressed in the saying ďA bad day jeeping is always better than an average day at work.Ē

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][happy]

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode