Rim choices... HELP!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rim choices... HELP!!!

Ok... now I have to choose... I'm putting 33/12.50/15 Swamper SSR's on my Jeep on Thursday, and I have to pick out rims. Do I want an 8" or a 10" rim? I was told by the guy at 4wpw that the 10" is what he sees most people with my choice of tire on, but I've heard that I'll get better bead protection with an 8" tire. I'm worried about being able to air down without a huge fear of rolling a bead. I know the 10" rim will look better and I'll get a bigger footprint, but will I be likely to roll a bead if I'm down to 10-12psi? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Skinner
95 YJ 'Dust Demon'
2" Body Lift, 3" Rough Country Suspension, 33" Super Swamper SSR's, Detroit EZ-Locker rear, Centerforce Dual-Friction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rim choices... HELP!!!

10-12 psi is still a lot of air.. you'll be fine with either rim.. the 10" are nice because you never have to buy wider rims when you get different tires. I routinely run 4-5psi in my 35x16 boggers with 10" rims and havent rolled a bead yet..look at the top pic in this series.
http://www.jeepgod.net/cgi-bin/i/graphics/tj7kodak2.jpg

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:56 PM
Old Hand

I have run both 8's and 10's. The bead was more stable on the 8's. I went to 10's with a custom offset to widen my track some. I run the black Rock crawlers with a reverse 3 inch offset with 33 inch bias Swampers at about 6 psi. I haven't had a problem loosing a bead but I have had problems with sand, bark, and pebbles getting in there causing slow leaks. As far as the rims getting beat up, if your rock crawling its going to happen either way. Hope this helped.

WildCJ5
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...6143&a=2127776
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 95YJ and i put 10 inch rims on my jeep but a friend of mine just got 38x12.50 swampers on his XJ and he went with the 8 inch rock crawlers he says it protects the bead better. he does a lot of rock climbing. Gary

95 yj black. 4.0L .5.5 sup. lift 3 inch body lift 36x12.50 swampers, safri rackon top for my women.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:39 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I run them on an 8" rim, and the rims still get beat up pretty bad wheeling. Mine are all dented to crap. I'm going to put them on 7" rims in the spring. On the 8" rims I routinely drop to 4psi for wheeling, no peeling a bead. I don't do a lot of rock, but just general trail wheeling.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 02:34 PM

I run 33x12.50 tires on a 8" rim, I used to run a 10" on the same tires and if I were to air down to 12 psi I would spin a tire on the 10". I went to the 8" and I can get to 5psi and not spin a rim I have no problems with pebbles or sand creaping in the bead area like I used to get. I would go with the 8" for rocks and low psi wheeling.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode