updated description of water temp problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

updated description of water temp problem

if i had a digital camera this would be so easy!!!!. sitting in the drivers seat the description of the intake is as follows. Edelbrock Performer AMC intake
FRONT RIGHT: 1 hose going to the power brake booster. 1 small hose to where??
that is right under the carb practically. same nipple
also. one capped threaded opening.
BACK RIGHT:1/2" hose goes around to the front just behind the fan
right next to that to the left is a 3/8" hose going to the front of the carb.
and to the left of that is a small hose/metal tube running down to the transmission.
FRONT LEFT: 1 little pink wire and nipple. it was cut..i dont know what that is.

i need digital!!!! thanks..

304/th400/d300/ford 9" 6"lift 15x10/35's
I just can't wait to drive the damn thing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: updated description of water temp problem

Had to go find your other post to see what you are talking about and am wondering what the descriptions of these hoses has to do with the temp sending unit? The one going to the brake booster is a vacuum line. If the Autometer sending unit won't fit where the stock sending unit was, just go to the hardware store and get some brass parts to make it work. Buy a short nipple of the appropriate size and an elbow of the same size. Thread the nipple into the old sending unit hole and the elbow onto the other end of the nipple. Then thread your new sending unit into the other end of the elbow. Use teflon tape and you should be leak free. Call autometer about the hose problem with the ferrule. Sounds like they sent you the wrong size.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't remember you mentioning it was an Edelbroc intake in the earlier post so the description I gave you is probably not correct. I have heard about problems getting a water temp sender in the Edelbroc but I was thinking it was more a problem of not enough room in the intake for the metal tube on the end of the sending unit. Anyway, that pink wire and nipple sounds like where one would be. Are you sure that isn't the sending unit and someone has just cut the wire?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

could that pink wire be from the original electrical water temp sender? The thick 1/2" hose from the back right side to the water pump is supposed to be for the heating unit. shouldn't that go to the heater?? why does it go from the water pump to the back of the intake? I have looked for brass parts and haven't been able to find the size..i'll keep looking elsewhere. I did manage to keep the ferrul in and that should be ok!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] oil pressure is done! the vacuum line from the intake to the brake booster, what does that do and what is the skinny line for? Do i remove the pink wire on the front left side of the intake? i dont have an electrical guage for it, if that is what its for. im really curious about the heater hose.. haynes manual doesnt really get into this. thanks.......so this and a new msd hook up and i can finally start her up!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i cant wait.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 11:41 PM
Official Historian

i think the 1/2" hose from the back of the intake is the pcv hose.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 06:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is supposed to be a hose from the water pump right above the alternator that runs to the heater core. Then a hose comes from the heater core to the back of the intake. These hoses are usually larger than 1/2" though. More like 1" outside diameter.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thats possible, its too cruddy to read but i think your right on the 1"od. the previous owner really fkd this jeep up. i was on the phone with the painless tech guys and they couldnt help me at all with my wiring!! i don't know what the hell i have for ignition, so its coming out!! There is 2 hoses coming out of the firewall. one hose actually has no hose, just the nipple for it. the other hose is cut about 12" down, drain?? the hose from the water pump goes right to the back of the intake. again, there is some sort of canister halfway along the hose. filter maybe? i have no idea. i tell you though, i might just leave this be and save up for the GM 350ci crate motor. only$2,000. then start fresh. Last night i noticed that the engine mounts are barely holding the engine on!! i gotta take pics of this and scan them in..in fact i can do that later...thanks...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 01:38 PM
FlMudCJ

Woah, hold on there... I have your answers.

The pink wire with boot attaches to the electronic temp sender. I didn't go back, but i believe somebody told you to put the temp sender in the water neck, which is incorrect for the stock electronic temp sender. A few things about the descriptions you gave. The hose going from the water pump to the rear of the intake is bypassing the heater core. Not a problem, I had mine setup like that for awhile until I decided it would be nice to have heat again (fortunately the leak was in the old hose, not the core). The hose to the left of that in the intake is your PCV valve. The other end of that should go into the carbureator. The small vacume line might be for your distributor advance? The large hose going to the power brake booster should also go to the carbureator, but can go to one of the vaccume ports on the intake.

did I miss anything?

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 02:07 PM
Official Historian

the hoses coming out of the firewall are drains. the large one that you say is about 12" long should be draining the box under the cowl grill. the little one under the battery is the drain for the lowest point of the ductwork under the heater blower motor.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok..lets see.I can just ditch the pink wire then..i have a mechanical guage/ autometer phantom series. If it doesnt go to the water neck where does it go? I am thinking of doing an engine swap anyway, to that gm deal $2,059 for a new motor 350ci. i guess i could let all this slide till i actually make up my mind. i have some pictures i took this afternoon. some of the filter thingy in the middle of that 1"od hose going to the intake. The pcv hose does go to the front of the carb! and the one to the brake booster is there. the skinny one is detached. i am definatly thinking of the swap to forget all this crap... the pics came out well, ill send a different post tomorrow. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode