Auto tranny vs. manual - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto tranny vs. manual

Recently purchased 2000 TJ Sahara for my wife.
It had to have an automatic transmission...sigh

My question is...

What disadvantages (if any) will I encounter should I decide to make suspension mods like a 2.5" Rancho rock-crawler lift?

Are there any "gotchas" regarding having an auto tranny in a TJ when it comes to off-roading, etc.

Any experienced opinion would be helpful.

Thanks

CJ8George
O|||||O
85 CJ8
"Put some tire tracks in the sands of time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auto tranny vs. manual

Auto is actually preferable IMO for crawling. I'm still considering a TF727 conversion myself as soon as the new motor is in I might start looking for a suitable transplant candidate. Virtually impossible to kill the engine with an auto.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 02:49 PM

Auto is the weapon of choice around here for rock climbing and general offroading. I switched because I got tired of doing the 3 pedal shuffle when all the auto guys stopped on the hills. It gives better speed or approach control.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 03:15 PM

I would not say that an auto has any advantage over a manual with the gear ratios we are running nowadays. I rarely have to touch the clutch on a steep hill, just start it in gear and go. There are a few disadvantages to an auto, one is the limitability to to stop them with super low gears and monsterouse tires. Many guys are now using in cab idle adjusters so that their tranny doesnt try to walk the vehicle when in gear. The autos also run much hotter,(often to the point of torque converter slippage). You cant use an auto to control your downhill speed either, or to bump start in case of battery or starter failure. And a manual is much shorter benefficialy when it comes to drivetrain length, in a short wheel base rig.
It still comes down to personal preference, but I would take a manual over a slush box any day.
Although I do like having an auto in my motorhome, its just soooooooo much easier to drive.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MY GOD! I read a post of H8Monday's and LIKED IT! hehe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] He pretty much nailed all of my opinions.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well...after a year of wheeling since I swapped to the auto, here are my impressions.
1) you have a lot more control with the auto.. you can creep at .00000001mph if you want.
2) there is nothing like being able to dump the clutch to roll back a bit.
3) I can no longer tell the lockers are there on the street, with the manual, it would about switch lanes.
4) I really really miss overdrive...the auto and 4.56's give me 55mph..and thats all..
5) autos (at least a tf727)are easy to find, cheap, strong and don't require any adapters.
6) autos are really nice in the mud.
7) my axle wrap isn't as bad with the auto.
8) a big cam works horribly bad with an auto.
9) when the engine stalls with an auto, and you have power brakes, it can get a little...exciting..
10) when the throttle sticks and your B&M megashifter is ratched all the way down and you are pointed straight up, and the damn thing crawls 20 feet up before you get it out of gear and your buddy is holding the cage so you don't tumble down the mountian....you miss having the manual a bit..
11) sucks when you think it's in neutral and you winch it up on your trailer, breaking the park lock pin and showing a good pair of bogger skids...
conclusions... would I swap again??...only if i had a fuel injected engine.. stalls really suck, although i leared that if you crank it in gear and disconnect the safety start switch, it easily starts in any gear.
I am still out on it.. another year of testing will tell tale...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode