Grounding/Charging Issue solved - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Grounding/Charging Issue solved

Thanx for all the help on this issue. I emailed a few of you directly with this problem since I was was not getting anywhere posting.

For those who could benefit from the experince here are the details:
1. Swapped Vortec V6/TH350 into 88 YJ replacing 4cyl and 5 speed.
2. Used existing wiring for charging and grounding.
3. Previous motor had 8 gauge charge wire and 6 gauge negative cable.
4. Ground wiring between motor and frame none. Frame and body none. I suppose the motor mounts and such were adequate with the 38 amp alternator on the old motor.
5. New motor has 130 amp alternator and big power hungry computer.
6.Battery was dying after long prolonged night trips or using the heater for hours at a time.
7. Replaced battery cables with 2 gauge between + and starter, 4 gauge between + and fuse block and additional fuse block I added during swap, 1 gauge between - and block,
8. 4 gauge ground strap between block and body using external "star" washers for bite into the metal for a long lasting connection, and a 4 gauge ground strap between the block and the frame (using same washers).
9. 2 gauge wire between alternator and battery (this one does not get hot now!)
10. New battery

Now it works great!! It snowed over the weekend (12" in the mountains around NW GA - which is a bunch for this part of the country) and we drove into the mountains to wheel on some local trails. With headlights, off-road lights, heater, two-way radio, CB, and AM/FM at full tilt boogie, the battery charged and the insulation on all the battery cables stayed intact.

I think the problem was two things: no adequate or consistent ground and a charging wire that was too small to run all the new fangled electronics on this new engine.

Alternator whine was eliminated too!!

Hope this will remain in the archives for someone else to benefit from. A leeson I learned the hard way (one battery at a time).

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Grounding/Charging Issue solved

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] One thing we HAVE done on this BBS is to pay more attention to the three Jeeps we all drive, and getting them all connected. You know the three I'm talking about......the engine-tranny group; the frame and axle group; and the tub-front fender group. Getting good grounds to each and every district sure helps those street light s burn a lot brighter. TeamRush made us aware that the tapped hole in the rear of the alternator is a good place to attach a ground wire, using the washers as you have described.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 07:48 AM
Veteran

Re: Grounding/Charging Issue solved

Doing a glass tub swap grounds were something I had to be very conscious about. Possibly to the point of going overboard? Nah. I used all S.S. ground straps for longevity. I connected the front grill to the frame, engine block to the frame on BOTH sides, frame to a bolt going through my firewall and then another strap from my dash to that bolt on the inside, rollbar(oops, sportbar) to the frame, plus the little miscellaneous bits like starter solenoid, heater blower etc.

But as has been stated better by others, the most important is getting those basic "groups" all tied together. I've got excellent lighting on my jeep at the moment. Everything good and bright. My wife's jeep on the other hand displays all the symptoms of a poorly grounded electrical system. It needs some attention. (Just as soon as I get my Scrabbler finished)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode