Tranny ID. Ok. What's Up? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Tranny ID. Ok. What\'s Up?

I thought I had all the specifics of my jeeps hardware all figured out. After all, I've only been building it for 4 years now. I had determined that the tranny was a 999 based on the model year(1983) and motor(258). Now unless I am missing something the 999 is a 3 speed which I believe should mean 2 shifts when starting from a stand still. One shift into 2nd and then another shift into 3rd, or "Drive". I swear I can detect 3 shifts in this transmission. Am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:50 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Tranny ID. Ok. What\'s Up?

Upshifts on a TF999 at normal closed throttle:

1st to 2nd: 8-10 mph
2nd to 3rd: 11-14 mph

So if the transmission is in gear when coming off a stop, it's in 1st and upshifts to 2nd then 3rd, so 2 shifts are detected. If the transmission is not in gear, then one clutch pack engagement and two upshifts would be detected. It is possible to have some slop in the transfer case, U-joints, slip joint and diff to cause what appears to be an upshift when coming off a stop.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'm not familiar with the 999, does it have a full lockup? If it does, this is what you're feeling, it's just the converter locking up, not another gear.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:53 PM
Way Outta Control

TC Lock up's vary from year to year on the TF999. To determine if the transmission has a lock up you have to look at the Torque Converter (in some cases) or drop the pan and look at the vavle body to see if it has a Lock up module attached to it. The TF999 lock up cam not engage untill after the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm not sure if it has a lockup or not to tell the truth. I just know it feels an awful lot like a shift to me. Starting from a stop, in gear, I can feel two good shifts and coming REAL quick after the second shift what feels like a third. Rpm drops a fair bit when this happens. It even does it if you're headed uphill which is something of problem. There is enough of an rpm drop in this instance to make the engine seem as if it is lugging somewhat. It concerns me enough that I may pull it and take it in for a rebuild just to be on the safe side.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 05:03 PM

that sure sounds like a converter locking up!
try adjusting the shift linkage before popping for a rebuild ( unless of course you have other problems!)

the lockup should only occur in high gear at like 43 MPH? ( bad memory)
BUT if youve changed the tires/gearing that will be different, there are ways to modify it to control the lockup from inside, or you can disable it altogether, depends on your usage really.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It's the stock gearing BUT, I did stick 33" tires on it so that fits in with what you're saying.

I'm not sure I follow you on adjusting the "shift linkage". The only linkage I know of is from the steering column for selecting gears and the kickdown linkage from the carb. What am I missing?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:44 PM

kickdown linkage is what I was referring too.
I personally usually adjust it as tight as you can stand it!
especailly with tires/gears such as you have.

basically you want to make the rod from teh tranny move, with as little throttle application as possible. its hard to understand, and the factory adjustment wont really give you the results you want.

basically this is how I learned how to adjust it, move it then drive it. move it again. drive it again.

its possible to make it shift into high gear at about 20 mph under light throttle, this is bad itll burn up the tranny, and drive like a dog. you wan thte other end of the spectrum.

you can get it so tight itll hold itself ack going down a hill in low gear, and only shift into high at about 45. then with very little throttle come back down into 2nd. basically it will hold in the lower gears longer, this is better for your tranny, but obviously revs the engine more, and uses more fuel.

find something inbetween that suits your driving style/terrain.

feel free to email if you need help with adjusting, its been a few years since I messed with one, but ive done it several times.

OzarkJeep

"They throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on it. It's something I need to add to my list of "bugs" that need to be worked out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode