Another TFI Upgrade Question-UPDATE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Another TFI Upgrade Question-UPDATE

...Now that its all wired up it doesn't start. It'll crank but won't start. There is juice up to the coil but I can't tell where the problem is from there. It got too cold to keep messing with it tonight so I couldn't troubleshoot it any more so I thought I'd check with you all for any ideas on where to check next. ...

I FIGURED IT OUT! You all were right, it was the dist/timing. The timing was just way, way off. I turned the dist about 90 degrees and it cranked right up. I adjusted the timing to about 14-16 degrees advanced (hard to tell exactly, marks only go to 10) and it runs great. Gapped the plugs to .040. Cleaned up the wiring a little and vrooooom! Revved it up to 3800 rpms (never been able to do that). Only problem may be the vac advance is barely clearing the power steering pump. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but I'll let ya'll know how it goes. If I had a digital camera I'd take some pics. Actually better that I don't. I be too embarrassed by my hack wiring job. Like I said last night I plan to clean it all up when I get to the frame off rebuild. Thanks again for all the advice. Sorry for getting so excited, this probably seems simple to you guys but it was a small victory for me. I just like it when something actually turns out right on my Jeep.
rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Another TFI Upgrade Question

Let me ask you this, when you installed the motorcraft dist, did you check to make sure it ran without upgrading anything else? You might have the timing way off, or wrong firing order. Just something to think about.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Nope, sure didn't. I was trying to avoid having to do the wiring for it twice. I do know that it ran fine before I started all this mess. But there is a good chance it is the timing since you don't really have a reference for installing the new dist other than putting the rotor back in the same general direction. I did not rotate the engine at all while the dist was out and tried to get the rotor pointed in the same direction as when I pulled it. I will mess with the timing tomorrow and let you all know what I find out. Thanks.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
83cj7inpieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:18 PM
FlMudCJ

Can you list what parts you bought??? also, did you put a resistor in the coil wire? the '77's prestolite doesn't have a resistor, but the motorcraft requires it. I put the TR on my '77, and it works great, probably forgot something or overlooked something. have somebody crank the jeep and check to see if your getting spark at all, that'll tell you if your timing / wires are wrong.

detail what you've done, and what parts of the upgrade your doing ie : msd or straight duraspark.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I am doing the straight upgrade. I put in a reman'd Motorcraft dist, TFI coil, AMC Duraspark module, new brass cap/rotor ane new Accel 8mm plug wires. I did put in a resistor wire from a Ford F350 but my wiring job is pretty shoddy. I plan to go back and clean up the harness but I just wanted to see if I had the wiring right first. Like I said I will check the timing thing tomorrow as well as check for spark.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
83cj7inpieces
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You say that the rotor is pointing in the same direction. Is the number one cylinder at top-dead center on the compression stroke. Pointing the rotor the same direction doesn't do a thing if the relation between the rotor's position and the piston aren't in synch. If the rotor isn't ready to transmit a spark when the cylinder is ready to receive it, it doesn't matter that the old rotor and the new one pointed in the same direction.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 12:04 PM

There is a SOP for installing distributors to make sure they are pointing in the right direction. Check out my site: Ignition Woes for everything you'll need about doing this modification.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Re: TFI Ground & Another TFI Upgrade Question

Bump, see edited original post.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
83cj7inpieces
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:39 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: TFI Ground & Another TFI Upgrade Question

We all still get excited to see our creations work. Nothing, even experience can put a lid on the feeling you get when everything finally falls into place.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode