more jeep shopping q's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 08:01 PM
toyatic

more jeep shopping q\'s

Ok,OK... I am still in search for my jeep. My toyota is quickly dieing and time is running short... I have a couple of questions first off how much better is the 97+ jeeps then the 93-96 wranglers??? I wanted to get the dana 44 option on a jeep, but I have not seen one jeep with it yet.. How long will the stock dana 35 last 33's and light wheeling. The jeep will mostly be daily driven and about 10% at the most wheeling mobile. I do no rock crawling mostly pounding our own trails through the woods, back road bashing, ect... nothing that you guys would consider even remotely hard core.. Another question if I lift my jeep get rims for it, how hard would it be to swing in a stronger axle such as a dana 44, with out having lug pattern problems, ect.. Also in my area I can pick up a 97 4.0 sport with about 50k for 12-14k, as where I see 93-96 wranglers with the same options going for 8-10. Which would you guys pick for the best overall machine... sorry for all the questions

also any jeep clubs in st.louis???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: more jeep shopping q\'s

Heck of a lot easier and cheaper to lift a YJ than a TJ. Might be a consideration.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 09:11 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I agree, also easier to modify, a lot cheaper as well. I'd look for a 1995 Wrangler if you can find one. There was no 1996 model year for the Wrangler, so don't look for one. If you're going to modify it anyway, get the YJ. The TJ is awesome, they changed about 80% of it between the YJ and TJ. The TJ's D35C sucks, it will not last with 33's and any kind of wheeling at all, don't even consider it. It's also harder to change out due to the coil suspension.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 01:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know, JEEPN, it always seems like we're butting heads. I just dont want you to get the wrong idea and think that i'm and A$$hole or anything. I'm just friendly contradicting your point! (smile)

Project TJ has been wearing the 35C clip axle under moderate wheeling and 20,000 miles or driving hard (emergency response vehicle) and has never had any problems whatsoever. Its a 98 Sahara, dual top, with every option and about 400 pounds of gear in it at all times. Warn XD9000iu on the front and all. 3.5 inches of TeraFlex lift, and 33" BFG M/Ts, and never a problem, not even a vibration. I wouldt take Project TJ to tellico or run the Rubicon with the 35C, but its fine for light and medium duty offroading so long as you aren a maniac with the go pedal, and dont have a V-8 under the hood. Need money...you know what a set of Dynatrac Dana 60s with Disk brakes and detroit lockers cost? Thats what'll be replacing the stock axles to bring the Rubicon and Tellico tougher trails within reach!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 07:22 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I know, but I also think that's just the way it works out. No problem.

I am basing my opinion on my personal experiences with the D35, maybe it's just ours, but we had the rear end in the TJ replaced at about 50K, and it's on it's way out again, a lot of metal in the oil. Who knows, maybe the housing somehow got bent, and it's ruining the current internals. When they replaced the axle, they kept the housing, all else was new.

We have it warranteed until 100K (17K more), and it'll go back when it's a little more chewed up. This time there's no rebuilding this axle, it's getting a new one. If it did this with 31's, daily driver, and some wheeling (nothing extreme, but certainly tough), I don't think it'd hold up well in a more demanding atmosphere.

The TJ is still stock, been running 31's on it since 15K or so, and it has seen it's share of wheeling.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode