"Issues"- BIG PROBLEM SMOKEING... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\"Issues\"- BIG PROBLEM SMOKEING...

Alright this is what I know.. last night I was driving to the beach at around 11pm and I was stopped at a light then noticed a huge amount of smoke coming into the cab from the shifter cutout for my xfercase.. I looked to the sides of the jeep but noticed very little smoke coming from my exhaust. My normal PSI stopped at a light runs at 22psi ... but last night dropped to 12 and could have dropped alittle more.. I parked the jeep and came back this moring checked oil, gas, everything.. started it up and it ran then I noticed the smoke came bellowing from the cap.. What is wrong? Can I pull the valve covers off and find my problem? HELP PLEASE...
UPDATE:
Check the PCV Valve.. the valve is fine.. It was working perfect.. So what else do i need to check now?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"Issues\"- BIG PROBLEM SMOKEING...

anyone...

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 02:12 PM
FlMudCJ

what's the condition of your PCV, Vac hoses, valve cover gaskets, etc.etc.etc...?

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its coming from the oil cap.. but Its not burning that much it seems.. buts its really bellowing.... everywhere

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That would most likely be caused by "blowby" ( compression leakage past the piston rings.) If its that bad and came on suddenly you probably have a stuck or broken piston ring. A compression check would probably reveal the offending cylinder(s). If a ring is just stuck in the piston groove, a 2 ounce shot of ATF in the spark plug hole(soak overnite, roll engine over before replacing plug) will often free it up. If its broken, its teardown time.

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok ... so we are lookin at maybe getting a ring job? How much is this?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't get ahead of yourself here. A stuck ring comes on suddenly, as does a broken ring. Question: have you overheated your enginge recently? This can ruin the heat treatment of the rings and make them fail in a few hundred miles. Question 2: have you kept up on your oil changes? A lot of short trips on dirty oil will stick the rings, although they can often be "freed" again (see ATF remedy) First things first. Do a compression check and try to "fix" the bad cylinder(s) Go from there.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run oil and filter changes about every other month.. I run premium synthetic vavoline oil.. I need to get some ATF? check the compression? I've never done a compression check before.. how do I do this.. what else do I need to know.. I am off school so I believe I wil tackle this tommorrow

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your not a strong candidate for a stuck ring if you run clean synthetic. Your parts store will usu. loan or rent you a guage, or buy a cheapie for $15. Pull ALL the spark plugs before you begin. Screw the guage into the plug hole, and roll the engine over, I usu. count to 4. Read the guage and write it down. Do this for all 8 cyls. The actual figures you get are not as important as the CONSISTENCY. Look for values that are 25% or lower than the rest. This is where the trouble is. Good luck.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 04:29 PM
FlMudCJ

I say again, what is the condition of your PCV and vac hoses? The oil cap is the breather for the engine. WHile it very well could be blow-by, if the PCV suddenly quit working that's a much cheaper and easier fix. For some reason, the pcv can't pull these vapors out of the case, and the high pressure inside is being blown out the breather, instead of clean air in. Either the PCV can't pull enough out which is the case with blowby, or it isn't pulling any at all.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode