Carnage of Dana 30 and questions on what to do?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carnage of Dana 30 and questions on what to do??

I have a lot of questions for the dana 30 axle and disconnect fork experts....

1) Do people normally break the spline collar??
2) If I upgrade to a solid piece axle on the passenger side do I have to remove the bearings supporting the axle half-shafts??
3) What is the benefit of the cable disconnect upgrade?
4) Is there an upgrade for the shifter fork?

Okay here is the carnage picture:

I can get the shift collar and shift fork and (2) plastic wear pads from SixStates for about $45 not including shipping charges since they have to order the parts from from alaska. I figure that is what I will do for now for a fix and not an upgrade.

If you look at the picture below you will notice a small step in the splines on the right side shaft. Is this what it is suppose to look like? I can't tell because it looks like a machine surface. I like the fact of having a cheap weak point so that I don't break the valueable gear work. Is this the right way to think? See I would like to upgrade to a single solid shaft if i could but that would move the weak point to another spot.

I know that I have 33" tires with 4.56 gears (open front, true trak rear) and I do push it pretty hard when there is a camera nearby but at the same time I don't play on slick rock which could be fatal with my 33's. Am I doing the right thing or should I upgrade to 95 and newer XJ/YJ single piece axles or the dreaded and expensive dana 44 swap front and rear???? I guess the question is not if I should, but should I consider it since we all know that dana 44 is beefier than the dana 30 front & dana 35c.

Any comments would be helpfull since I don't know what would be best for me and most economical.

87' XJ, 8" Lift, 33x12.50 Tires, Ramps 1000+
http://members.nbci.com/brichers/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Carnage of Dana 30 and questions on what to do??

gotta say go for the 44. then you don't have a weak link. sure, you can fix the 30 cheap, but whats another hour/day of wheeling worth when you don't break. I hate breakage.. it ruins your trip when it happens early. the dana 44 swap can be done for a reasonable price if you are frugal and like to do things yourself.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 02:30 PM

Keep in mind if you change out the 2 piece axle for a single you will need to do some thing with the hubs,, you have non that are able to free wheel. also if you use the cable accuator you will still be back to the same weak sleeve and yoke. The little yellow arrow you have is showing you some wear on the axle where the splined connector hits as it is moved over to lock both stub shaft and axle shaft together.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"GP'n"

What do you mean I have to change the hubs??? XJ never came out with locking hubs from my understanding. Did TJ's have locking hubs? From my understanding when you install the single piece axle, 100% of the front axle and components turn. Is this correct?

87' XJ, 8" Lift, 33x12.50 Tires, Ramps 1000+
http://members.nbci.com/brichers/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 10:20 AM

You are correct that the whole front end spins with the tires when a single axle is in place of the vacuum disconnet axle. That is why you would want hubs to free up all that movement to save on fuel and wear and tear on the arms if this was a daily driver. Well this is assuming you have a locking diff up front.
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 03:35 PM
Journeyman

The benefit of the cable is that you know the axle is connected or disconnected (which ever you choose)and if you want you can use 2 wheel low without a locker.You can get an upgraded fork right from the dealer.The collars are known to break but not as often as the fork.

Where's the Mud
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my friend and i are fabing him a whole new lift in his XJ his is a 88 . he also has 4.56 gears in his and drives it very well(rock climbing and also some mud).he also has 38x12.50 swampers under his with only 1 inch cut out of the fenders.it's a monster, but goes any where.for one thing the end of that outer shaft is not suppose to have a step in it and he's been pretty happy with his dana30 axles,long as your not hot dogging it they should last you. Gary

95 yj black. 4.0L .5.5 sup. lift 3 inch body lift 36x12.50 swampers, safri rackon top for my women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode