How Does Everybody Hold Down Stuff? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

How Does Everybody Hold Down Stuff?

Hey, I'm finally looking through everthing that was in the jeep when it was rolled and totaled. Everything looks good but a bottle of antifreez that must have been left at the crash site, I was taken away in an ambulance and can't find it but there's green stuff in some places. I had a large action packer in the back of the jeep and had it held down with 2 bungi cords that were attacthed to the "broom hanger type" bracktes from the home depto. These things had a thing that mounted and then a removable loop, 3 of the loops are in my house right now and I think they released during the roll. Enough with the story my question is how does every body hold stuff down? My hi-lift was held down and I though bungiing the stuff to the loops was enough, what should I put in the new jeep for tie downs?
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How Does Everybody Hold Down Stuff?

The only safe way is in boxes that bolt to the jeep and lock.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

since i took the back seat out, i found that the back seat belts tie stuff dowm pretty secure. i loop one around my air tank and parts ammo cam and another around the tool box.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ammo boxes are great for small stuff, and some companies, such as Tuffy, make all sorts of different sized and shaped boxes that you can bolt down, close, and then lock...these provide security from theft as well as safety in the event of a rollover. Another idea might be a few of those little loops that you screw to the fenderwelkls to hold the rear straps of a bikini top to a CJ...i suppose if you had enough of those, a cargo net, and a few good straps to secure it all down with, you ought to be ok, but i havent tried it!! Im my experience, the only thing Bungee cords are good for is holding a trp onto something in the backyard. Thats about it.

Mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 01:56 AM
Old Hand

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I personaly don't trust bungies with anything I don't want to get hit in the back of my head with at 100 mph.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] My father taught me your strap should pick up at least twice what your tying down.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]The way I see it you gotta think of others that could be injured by your flying gear as well as your own safety. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=red>God</font color=red>.<font color=white>Guns</font color=white>.<font color=blue>Guts</font color=blue>.
Made America GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<font color=green> I VOTE</font color=green> to keep all three !!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 02:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Several years ago I gently (about a half of a mile per hour) laid my Jeep over on to it's side. On the right rear fender was an architectural college textbook. As the crow flies, it moved less than three feet. It HURT me!!!!!

In our club when we talk about safety we ask for volunteers to lay down on the floor and others will drop things, ie. can of soda pop, 6 pack of soda pop, tool box, hi-lift, etc., etc. We've never gotten a volunteer. The point is well made. Everything must be well tied down. Bungee cords are NOT well tied down. They are made for tarps as mentioned above and that is what they are good for.

My rig has several aircraft tiedowns and they are thru bolted to the tub. The straps are rated at more than four or five times the weight of what they retain. I use cross straps as well. I still am amazed at how loose things get after a period of time on the trail. I check and tighten them routinely thru the day when wheeling.

I've now seen several other Jeeps roll and the consequences of loose "stuff" are usually destructive. Sometimes the destruction is to the Jeep, sometimes to the "stuff" itself, sometimes to the occupants and sometimes to bystanders. My advice is don't scrimp here on materials or equipment. It is nearly as essential as a good roll bar/cage.

sln

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:38 AM
sas87yj

yeah i remember hearing or reading one time where just a loose box of kleenex lying in the rear of a car by the rear window went flying forward in a wreck and causing un-believable damage like going through the windshield![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i've got some loose stuff in my cars which i shouldn't!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a box like an action packer that I bolted brackets to and bolted those to the Jeep I don't have a back seat as this takes up that space, my high lift is bolted to my spare tire carrier.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 02:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My XJ has a custom made bracket bolted to the spare tire bracket to which an XJ seatbelt is attached. My tool box dosen't move at all now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode