"late" model TF-999? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\"late\" model TF-999?

I bought the above mentioned tranny from a guy in CO, after telling him it was for a 1983 scrambler. He waited 'till I paid for it, then sent me a little "note" saying it was from a 1987 wrangler, and it "should" work. My question is was he right, and if so what do I need to modify. My jeep has a slightly modified 4.2, T-4 tranny and a dana 300 xfer. I have a bad left knee is why I'm putting in a juice box. Thanks, Alan.

SeeJayAte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:11 PM

Re: \"late\" model TF-999?

Yes, he is correct. You'll need a shifter, kickdown linkage, your driveshafts will need to be rebuilt (longer front, shorter rear), you'll need to plumb for a cooler (if you have an HD radiator, there are bungs in the bottom for fittings to use it as a light-duty cooler), trans mount bracket (the ones for autos can be tough to find), brake pedal assembly...this is just off the top of my head, there's likely a few more items.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 05:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I too am planning this same mod, 88 YJ auto into an 82 CJ.
Besides all the things Jeepskate mentioned, Will the D300 bolt to the auto using the same adapter as the NP231 ??
I already have the trans and the D300 but they are buried in the shed, so I can't do a test fit.
I need to know if I need a different adapter before winter sets in , and my favorite boneyard becomes less accessable.
TIA for any help

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:02 AM

Along with the items Jeepskate laid out you will also need a flex plate with the proper bolts,(not just any bolt will work). not sure what input spline count the 300 has but the tranny will have a 23 spline count and it will take the 300 on the round adapter for the 231 although there may be a slight diff in the clocking, some say yes and some say no. All the adapters that we have checked out both 300 and 231, we could find no difference in the clocking of the bolt holes. Just to back up Jeepskates answer, Yes the tranny from the 87 will fit the 83. Have fun making the improvement. Yes "improvement" I like the auto's much better than the stick for my type of driving. I think you will find that you have the TF904 tranny and not a TF999 from an 87. The TF999 was a lock up style and can be readily identified by the "button on the end of the input shaft that holds the torque converter. The factory calls this tranny in the 86-89 the TF 999 but all the tranny shops say that it is the TF904 unless it has the lockup converter, or something like that.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:14 PM

I've got an '84 D300 mated to a '95 32RH (newer T-999 designation) if that gives you any more comfort. I have an '85 trans that I picked up earlier this year and the case & adapter are identical to the newer unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode