TR delco Alt. upgrade not working ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

TR delco Alt. upgrade not working ???

I am assuming that I did something wrong.

My jeep has a 304. I purchased a delco Alt then I wired it (I think)like the diagram showed TR drew up. I put a small idiot light in line from the B (2) connection from the Alt and then onto a wire that is hot when the key is in RUN. The light shines brighter when I accelerate. That means that it is not charging the battery right? The parts guy thinks that I might have the wires going to A & B bass ackwards.

What did I do wrong??

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 08:06 PM

Re: TR delco Alt. upgrade not working ???

Boy, you is lucky the fat man is on tonight...
Check out the graphic, it's self explanatory.

Don't over think this thing, it's not rocket science.

Make sure the ground of the light socket you used is ISOLATED, meaning it can't get any ground except through a wire.
This is the most common mistake.
The second most common mistake is to use too small of a bulb. If you think that might be the problem, you can use a 1 watt-150 ohm resistor inline with the light socket. Doesn't matter which side you wire it into, it's just there to add resistance.
Radio Shack should have them for under a buck.

The next most common mistake is not to ground the alternator case to the battery.

The third most common mistake is the connection of the two wire connector.
If you draw the power for the #1 wire from the ignition coil circuit, make sure you use a DIODE (Two bucks from Radio Shack) in the line so the vehicle doesn't run on after you turn the key off.
Just use a Key switched feed that is off when the key is off, and on when the key is in the 'RUN' position.
If you put the diode in, and the vehicle runs on after you turn the key off, Turn the diode around, you have it backwards.

Make sure you hook the #2 wire to the horn relay 'Hot' side.
That is the way your alternator knows what current all of your accessories are using up.
The horn is after the fuse block, and all of your accessories, so it gives an accurate accounting of the current being used.
Most people like to hook it to the back of the alternator or the battery.
You should already know what the battery and alternator output is via the volt gage...

The fourth most common mistake made is to hook the 'BATT' wire straight to the battery with out a fusible link.... Or even with a fusible link.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE ALTERNATOR BE WIRED DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY.
With the fusible link hooked to the battery side of the starter solenoid, you have a good, solid electrical connection, and you have a safe distance from the battery's explosive gasses incase the fusible link burns violently. (Another good reason to use a fusible link, to keep your vehicle from burning down!)

CHECK OUT THE ATTACHED GRAPHIC.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-275295-DelcoAltWiring.jpg (30.2 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I did use the diagram you drew up. I guess I will try it again next weekend.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 12:00 AM

TR
Just out of curiosity ,I do not recall seeing it in the manual or coming across it in some hidden recess somewhere .Where is the horn relay located ?

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:20 PM

I'm more of the 'Psychotic Friends Network' than the 'Psychic Friends Network' .....

I have no way of knowing where the horn relay is on each vehicle...
You just have to find the horn, and trace the wire backwards...
Mine is on the back side of the front grill face, right by the driver's side headlight, but I don't think it's the stock location because the wires have been spliced into.

I know some of the older Jeeps, (Like a '66) had the horn relay on the fire wall just above the steering column pass through.
(No electric wipers on that Jeep, it had vacuum wipers mounted on the windshield frame above the windshield)

I don't have a clue where yours would be. Sorry.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode