Winch mounting questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 09:59 AM
FlMudCJ

Winch mounting questions

I tried a search, and couldn't come up with the information I desired, so here I go.

How do the warn / ramsey / tomken winch plates mount into the frame, and can I use any of these if the bumper is welded to the front of the frame and the bumper mounting holes are not available. I have a smittybuilt bumper that has been welded into the jeep after it was forcefully removed, so the mounting tabs are slightly defunked. If somebody could post a detail picture of the mounting plate to frame I'd be greatly appreciative.

I'm going to get either the XD9000i, or platinum 9000. I think I'm leaning towards the warn, any reason I should go with the ramsey instead? or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Winch mounting questions

You do not need to access the bumper mount holes with the Warn channel mount. It consists of 3 pieces, 2 big L shaped pieces that mount to the fame rails behind the bumper and come up on top where the channel itself mounts to each side with 2 bolts. Here's a pretty crummy pic I took aw while back of the way I have a tow hook mounted, but if you look you can see the way the winch is mounted.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-274355-towhook.jpg (42.4 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

This is a pic of the Ramsey winch mount. Note the cutouts for the tow hooks. I have some 10 ton ones to throw on from a dump truck or school bus.

On the bottom one you can also see the side plates that bolt to the frame, it's behind the one with the gussets on it. The mount came originally with 4-3/8" bolts holding it on, and I upgraded it to 6-7/16" bolts. Gives a closer view of the cutouts for the tow hooks. And no, you needn't remove the front bumper, I did to go to a larger, sturdier, custom one. Also note the space between the frame ends and the winch mount.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:22 PM
FlMudCJ

Awesome pics, all of them. Exactly what I was looking for.

I was washing my jeep today (Its ok, I only took 1-1/2" of mud off, there's still more [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and looked at those frame rails, and suddenly remembered... I have spring outriggers welded to the frame... (duh) So I guess I'll have to do some fabricating.

Does anybody think it would be worth it to buy one of those mounts and modify / fabricate new frame pieces and use the top part??? or would it be better to just go completly custom. How thick do I need? I've got some 1/4 X 6" steel that I can cut and weld with, would that be enough?

Thanks.

bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:34 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That's one of the reasons all my stuff is bolted in place, including my outboard front springs. Unfortunately, if the winch comes off, so will the front axle, but I can't see that happening with only 3/8" cable and an 8K winch.

I'd stick with the 3/8" plate on the top, sounds like you have a heavy jeep and may need the extra protection it affords. Also, there's no reason you can't fab your own side mounts. Basically they're just extra supports to distribute the forces acting in one plane.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:10 AM
FlMudCJ

Thanks alot. I don't know if I'll be able to get any 3/8 or thicker, but I might double up the 1/4 in places to make 1/2. either way I'm planning on a large plate area to help distribute. How much force does the fairlead take? I'm probably going to have to gusset it, right?

Thanks again.

bigmudtire
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:21 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Mine isn't gussetted, but then it's 3/8" thick. Sorry I can't be of more help.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode