Information needed on Quadratrac 4WD System - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Information needed on Quadratrac 4WD System

Found a 1976 CJ-7 with this 4wd. Little leary about it. Advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Information needed on Quadratrac 4WD System

There chain driven, they sit behined a th400. It has all time four wheel drive you, can buy a parttime kit though, its chain probably streched out.

gotta do hella work to these boys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:22 AM
Official Historian

i've had mine for six years now. i've replaced the chain twice. i get about 40k miles from a chain. they aren't that expensive and can be replaced in a couple hours. i like the versitility of the q-trac too. on the street i unlock the hubs and lock the transfer case. off-road with the transfer case unlocked and the hubs locked, the locker in the front doesn't make it that difficult to turn. with just a turn of the vacuum switch it's locked up like any other transfer case. without lockers, the full time is more stable on the road than a rear wheel drive cj. just some things to think about.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wish I would have kept mine.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

93Wrangler, i have one word that will answer all your qQ-trac questions, and that word is... "CJDave."

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks,
Always come here for Jeep Advice

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 03:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You can make a small modification to the QT which will increase it's ability to please you immeasurably. If you disable the cone clutches it helps the Jeep run freeer in all wheel drive and enables you to pop in and out of lockup much easier. It also eliminates having to use special fluid, makes the chain last longer and improves gas mileage. What you are doing with this mod is approaching the modern style 242 transfer case which has 2WD, 4WD(locked), 4WD(unlocked), and 4WD Lo Range; a very versatile and well-designed setup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJDAVE,what needs to be done to disable the cone clutches?
I have a 77 CJ7 with quadra-trac,I was thinking about changing over to a diff case.What are some of the pros of this system?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 12:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's pretty easy to disable the cones. All you do is machine the splines and the small register out of the existing cones, and then install a thrust washer between the side gear and the cone to take the rotation. By doing that, you free up the center differential to actually differentiate, and the Jeep can run without binding. THEN when you go to "LOCKUP" (Emergency Drive)for balls-to-the-wall FWD, the open differential will allow the sliding lockup collar to latch up easier and more definitely. You can usually find spare QT differentials laying around that have been taken out when the case was converted to part-time drive.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode