dipstick removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

dipstick removal

Ok, the manifolds go to the machine shop next week...thanks Leve! I am trying to get rid of the oil leak i have. I have one leak at the distributor and one at the dipstick. How do I remove the dipstick on my 258. I tried to pull it out with a pair of vice grips, but that seemed like it might crush the dipstick...not a good thing. Anyway, tips on removal would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Mule

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 03:26 PM

Re: dipstick removal

I was lucky enough to have my dipstick tube break off flush with the block. I was able to remove the stub by inserting an easy-out(screw extracter) and gently twisting. There isn't alot of force that holds them in. If you have the oil pan off you can tap it out with a punch from the inside, or else your going to have to gently twist and pull.
Bob in Ma

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I got an email from Mark too. What do you guys think about not removing it and fixing the leak? Maybe a bead of silicone? Maybe a bead of metal??? Let me know what you think. My folks are about to kill me...the drive way is starting to look like a shut down oil refinery. Too many cars with too many leaks! Thanks again

Mule

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 08:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Do you have the "long" or Short Dipstick tube?

Me, I'd yank that whole darn thing out... crushed or not... and replace it. You can replace them from almost any AMC 258 engine. I like the longer dipstick and tube that comes up over the distributor.

Try loosening the tube a bit at a time...it will come out. You may want to heat the tube at the base and let it cool off a couple of hours. The tube expansion may crush any corrosion bond that's formed.

As for the base of the distributor... there is an "O" ring on the shaft that you could change. That should take care of any leak at the base.

Let us know how the project comes out.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the short one! Used to have the long one, on my first engine! Thanks for the advice. This bbs is so helpful! Thanks again, and I will let you know when I get a chance to work on the beast. Working too much lately

Mule

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:07 AM

I put an 'O' ring on my tube before replacing the tube.
It sits just under the buldged seat of the tube and the tube's bracket holds my long tube firmly to the block.
The 'O' ring I used was a spare from the ones that fit my power steering gear box's hose connectors. It was just the right size.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode