Quick lil Dana 30 question..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quick lil Dana 30 question.....

just a quick question.....kinda basic...but oh well...i wasnt able to find this specific one when i searched..maybe i was using the wrong words...oh well

through mud (no HUGE bogs), trails (no extreme rocks), and as an all around kinda vehicle and daily driver.....how long will a D30 front end live with 33" in tires.....

will it be OK....i've heard some people say that any tire upgrade means ya have to upgrade the 30 cuz it sucks so bad....whats your guy's opinion on how big a tire would max for a d30 front end in a CJ

i ask becasue i want to buy one of the cable acctuated lockers for the front end, but dont want to buy one now if i will need to replace the axle to run the tires size i want.

thanks guys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 04:25 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Quick lil Dana 30 question.....

From what you mentioned, I think it'd be fine. I ran one in the front of the Scrambler, even had the cheesy 5 bolt hubs, beat the snot out of it with 33" Swampers, no problems. It wasn't locked though, which adds another equation to the problem. The Swampers did grenade one other front end though. I beat on it pretty hard, ripped the rear end out of it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 07:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i think you wouldnt have any problems.. until you throw that locker in there.. then.. well i dont think it will hold up for too long.. ive seen a d30 hold up with a posi in the front.. with 33's.. but ive seen too many break with a full locker.. just my opinions.. i would go with a posi if you plan on keeping the axle.. if you really want a full locker.. i would steer you towards an axle upgrade..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you drive like a sane person, and don't go bigger than 33s, even with a locker you will most likely be OK. I've been running 33s for 3 years, locked for over a year, and it is fine. And where I live we don't exactly take it easy on the vehicles, some of the most difficult wheeling in the world is 20 mimutes from my house. A couple words of advice, stick with the stock hubs, act like a shear pin, they are usually the weakest part in that setup, easy to replace a blown hub. Also, I wouldn't recommend running a super agressive tire like Swampers or boggers, stick with a good mudder like BFGs.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have found the D30 to hold up fine with no problems accordingly to what you describe. I have run D44 rear, D30 with 5spd 4.56's,7in lift and 36in tires and you know what broke first on the rubicon trail, the D44 rear. Never have a problem in 6 yrs with the D30. Two other Jeeps I have owned all D30 no problems. I concur that could change if you install locker. Its a lot cheaper to stay with your current setup, but bigger axles look cool.
Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would stay with the 30. My brother in law runs 38's with all stock running gear. The jeep has had 38's on it for a least 10 years. He has owned it for two years. I agree with what was already said about the cheap hubs. Let them break that is a easy fix. I run 33,s with my setup and plan on keeping both the amc 20 and the dana 30. I am going to put a posi in the front though and a locker in the rear. Good luck

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

alright guys...thanks a lot.......

dont suppose any of you know if the Warn high strength axles are worth the money ? are they really that much stronger?

thanks again

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do not waste that kind of money on a dana 30! you could put a dana 44 in for the price of the warn axles

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 03:23 PM

do a search for warn axles for a d30..I asked the same question and got some good responses. Basically everyone said that for the cost of the upgrade you would be well on your way to a d44. I figure on staying with the d30 unlocked now, then when I eventually get my jeep going seeing if I need to lock teh front up (detroit in back). If so I may just go with a detroit trutrac in front..limit the amount of torque going to the front end some. Finally, I figure if that isn't enough, I will think of investing in a d44. My opinion on it, for what its worth...

Jay

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
I ran a '90 Wrangler with the 30 up front and 33" BFG Mud Terrains out in the southwest rockcrawling and never had a problem. It survived the Guardian, Wolf's run, Habenero falls, etc... in Las Cruces good to go. Watch the front u-joints, though, and replace the clips with full c-clips! Happy jeeping
mike

'79 CJ5 future rockcrawler.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode