Why cant I find this?(pitman shaft seal) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why cant I find this?(pitman shaft seal)

My dealer shows that the pitman shaft seal for a 1983 cj7 powersteering is a pn#j4486140,but its not even close to big enough (is that the manual-steering seal mabe??),anybody know the correct pn#??
Also,while I got you on,is it as easy as it looks to replace??-remove pitman arm-snapring-washer-and pick out old seal?thanx alot.

jsjps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Why cant I find this?(pitman shaft seal)

I just went thru this with the steering shaft seal. If your box is from an 83, is leaking and never been rebuilt it is a sure sign that it needs attention, more attention than replacing just that seal. Due to the pressure in a ps box, if you replace that seal you are most likely going to start leaking at the steering shaft seal or somewhere else. Do yourself a favor in the long run and get the box rebuilt, it most likely really needs it inside too. This is one of the few things I did not do myself, they are complicated, I let a pro do it. You might want to see the thread on this from a couple weeks ago.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:09 AM
Official Historian

i replaced the pitman arm seal last year. it is really easy to do. take the pitman arm off, remove the snap ring, start the engine and turn the wheel in the direction told in the instructions. the seals (there are two) will fall out. just have a container to catch the fluid.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, both those seals are easy to replace, BUT, you missed my point. A 17 year old steering box on a 4by is going to need some attention. I thought my box was doing fine, had it totally rebuilt, I didn't know that my steering could be so good, I had forgotten over time due to wear in the box. Like I said, that seal leaking is just telling you the box needs attention on the whole.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode