Bleeding the brakes question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Bleeding the brakes question

I am at the point of bleeding my Dana 60 brakes and am running into a litle trouble. When I removed my original axles I let my brake reservior drain down. Now I know you need to purge the system, but is it necessary to remove the Master cylinder to bleed it? I remember about "bench bleeding", but can I do it while it is connected to the system? I am also using a tool to hold in the proportioning valve thing. I can't see where it matters, but I is doing that anyway. It seems as though there is still air somewhere as my pedal goes almost to the floor. What am I doing wrong with the brakes? Thanks for the help, Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..soon Dana 60's
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:50 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Bleeding the brakes question

Disconnect the lines to the axles, and bench bleed it while it's on the jeep. Then reconnect the lines and bleed the brakes like normal. If you're still have problems, let me know, I have some "tips and techniques" that have worked for me throughout the years, never failed.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey Ricky.

The best thing to do is disconnect the lines from the master cylinder and run rubber hoses from the holes on the side, up and into the resevoirs. Fill the master cylinder with fluid. Then press the pedal (very s-l-o-w-l-y) to the floor. Do this until no more bubbles appear in fluid as you press the pedal. Reconnect the brake lines and then bleed the system. If you have already filled the lines with fluid, you may want to drive it a short while/distance. And then re-bleed the system.

I've held onto a couple of the plastic fittings that they give you when you buy a master cylinder just for this occasion. If you have any connections at your local parts store, you can probably open a box and swipe you a set of fittings/hoses. They're nothing special, but they really help.

Hope this helps.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I beleive they sell a kit with the plastic connectors and two hoses that curl around into the MC for real cheap.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 08:42 PM
Veteran

yes they do sell a cheap kit for like 3 bucks.. well worth it in the long run..

<font color=green>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=red>
Semper Jeep<font color=black>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

for one thing leave the valve for the front and back brakes alone,that way no air will be able to travel from the front to the back or even the rev.now even though your resvior went dry you should still be able to bleed the brakes from each wheel but it will take a little longer.and as you are doing this don't let the resvior go dry.do both fronts first then the backs,you may have to repeat this because of the amount of air in the system . good luck Gary

95 yj black. 4.0L .5.5 sup. lift 3 inch body lift 36x12.50 swampers, safri rackon top for my women.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 12:09 PM

Ricky It seems you have been given some good advice on the "bench bleed" technique in the Jeep. After you have reattached the brake lines to the master cylinder make sure the brake fluid is topped off. Then go to the right rear brake and start your bleed there and work left rear right front and then left front. This works the lines from farthest to shortest and is the way it should be done to eliminate air from the system you may have to do this a few times to get it all out. Make sure to check the fluid after each 3 strokes to keep enough fluid in the master cylinder. This is the best way short of a pressure bleeder to get the air out.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode