advice on garage heaters - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

advice on garage heaters

I am looking at getting a heater for my garage now that it is getting cold. I was looking at a 30,000 btu Reddy propane heater. it is supposed to heat 1000 sq ft which is larger than my garage. any advice on brands, propane vs kerosene, size, or anything else you can think of.

thanks
Jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 07:22 PM

Re: advice on garage heaters

Does it have a ceiling,drafts,hows the insolation(sp?)? All things to consider.
My garage is 24x35 w/ no celing and min. insolation, and is block walls.
It heats fine w/ my 100,000btu torpedo but 3 regular kerosene heaters woul not put a dent in it.
I say borrow one to try if you can first. Then you'll know.
Kerosene is kinda stinky and the "torpedo's" are LOUD but the smell doesn't bother me (in the garage) and it's better than freezing.
When I'm out there I like to be a comfy 75 or so.
Also keep in mine both are $$$$ in the fuel usage. Propane is the more of the two but doesn't smell near as bad.

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 07:59 PM
Way Outta Control

I'll second Dirt Dog. Use a Torpedo Heater. I've used one in my Un-insulated 2 car garage for the last three years. It does a fair job down to about 15 below... if it gets colder than that... I go in and enjoy some hot chocolate.

To keep the fuel costs down... I use diesel fuel. It burns clean enough not to clog the torpedo heater and the cost is lower.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 24x30 garage and a 55,000 BTU kerosene torpedo. It's loud but not to smelly after it ignites the first time. When its below 32 or so outside It runs it almost constantly to keep warm. I have insulated garage doors and the walls are insulated as well but I filled my garage up with stuff before I got the ceiling installed and I have no insulation in the roof. I am certain that most of my heat just goes right out the ridge vent. I installed a wall mounted thermostat like you would use for electric baseboard heat and it feeds a wall socket that I plug the heater into. It works great and is much cheaper than those thermostat cords that the rich city folks use.

Only One Jeep left but its got a 4" Superlift and 33" BFG AT'S
Talk's! Cheap Join the NRA!
http://www.nrahq.org
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If Jeepers are worth anything, they get the most out of junk and/or making things adapt. I notice you are from upstate NY. It does get cold there. I've been there in the winter, and I also know that folks, not just Jeepers, in that area can make do with whatever is available. I'm a Texan, but I will go OT for the moment and compliment the upstate, NE yankees with a real "make do with what ya got" attitude. I've seen some real adaptations of "stuff" in the New England area that isn't apparent in the rest of the country. SO, back to your heater ---

Short story. I was fortunate enough to be very good friends with the son of the owner of the very last real blacksmith shop in Texas. This shop was torn down in the '60s, I think, but in the early '50s when I was in high school, I used to spend some time around this blacksmith shop - summer and winter.

In the winter it often got below freezing and sometimes even below zero, they fired up a "blacksmith made" heater. It was a series of "S" shaped duct tubing. Just light weight tubing that probably was designed as a cheap vent type tubing (6" to 8") for a big hot water heater. Real thin sheet metal tubes about 3 feet long connected with 2 90 degree angles so that it did a switch back forming a tight "S".

On top of 3 or 4 (don't remember for sure) horizontal tubes there was a bucket with a hole drilled in the bottom. A small tube of some kind was soldered into this hole. The tube ran from the bucket down to the bottm of the "S" shaped vent tubes. The bucket was filled with discarded, used motor oil. There was some kind of valve on the bottom of the bucket. A fire was started in the bottom of this stack of "S" shaped tubes, and the valve was set so that the motor oil dripped into the fire. Not a steady stream, just drips. The drips of oil went into the fire and ultimately were the only source of material for the fire to burn.

No fan, no electricity, just old oil burning in a controlled manner and exiting through an "SSS" type chimney. That thing produced a LOT of heat, and didn't cost anything to operate.

This system may be well known in some circles. It may be commonly used in colder climates. I may have seen the only one in the world. I DON'T KNOW! What I do know is that folks in the NE really are able to manage with whatever is available, and I know that this heater really put out a lot of heat and didn't cost anything to operate.

If this gives you some ideas, fine. That is the intention.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:13 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have a 20 x 22 garage, no insulation at all, peaked roof. Just picked up a 100,000 btu kerosene torpedo for $170 new, with a built in thermostat. It heats well, but does smell a little at startup. No problem though, because I frequently need a serious shower after working on the jeep anyway. I chose kerosene rather than propane because it's cheaper and a lot easier to find. They both last about as long and put out the same amount, and prices are comparable, with the propane being a little higher. I'd go a little larger than necessary, the 35K is fine, but a 50K would be better, wouldn't run so much. The 50K one I was looking at was $100, but I have a HUGE old barn at home (can store 8 jeeps inside, and work on all 8 at the same time), so I can always use the extra capacity.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 02:57 PM

Ha.......I just scored a brand new inline thermostat from a friend today for mine!!!!!!!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I was thinking along the lines of propane initially, but I think kerosene might be a better choice. I definately will go bigger than I think necessary-like at least 50,000 btu's. I should have learned my lesson when I got the 2 HP air compressor..Always seems like I need more air.

Jay

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 03:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This is what we do in the good old south jersey. A single wide moble home heater. Those suckers dont die and put more heat out then you can take. They are cheap as hell because once the trailer is trash they just doze them down. We normally give the dozer driver 25 bucks or a case of beer for one. They do blow down so you have to put it on some kind of stand or mount it in the ceiling. They run on kero so no stack is needed if you have enough drafts. They are small so any corner of the garage will work. I just put one in a friends one car garge so he can keep his vet warm throughout the winter. Another friend has one heating a 3 car barn. Good luck and stay warm

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 06:06 PM

Ive got a two 1/2 car garage with picthed roof and no insulation . For several years I used a 35,000 Btu kerosene torpedo, which basically just made noise. Last year I bought a 200,000 btu torpedo. Man ! it might sound like jet plane at take off but its so hot Im down to a tee shirt in under five minutes.But with a thermostat it doesnt stay on that long.Besides the compressor makes a lot more noise for a lot longer. Dont go cheap.

91 wrangler 4.0 SOA,All borla,jet chip,rancho 9000s in cab random tech, M.O.R.E. steering kit, K&N, accel coil,sloted drilled rotors,four wheel disc, add a leaf,wrangler dual bat in cab optimas,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode