Starting Trouble? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Starting Trouble?

I have 78 CJ7 w/ 304 V8.. Whenever I drive around town I normally run about 160 degrees, but when I come to stops for a longer period of time it runs to about 180 fairly fast. I stopped in the bank today and someother places for a few mins each time and the Jeep would barely start. I know its probably just hot, but its hard for the starter to turn it over. Can I buy some sort of heat shield for the starter? What else is the problem? I want to install an electric fan in front of the radiator and keep the factory fan in the engine compartment.. where do I find them? Who make a good one? Will this help.... Thanks

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Starting Trouble?

I've ot a 79 with the 304 and mine runs hot in slow traffic too. 180 degrees isn't that hot though. I think there is a 195 degree thermostat in your motor. (at least I know they sell them for the 304). whenever mine gets hot it's hard to start but it doesn't effect the starter in anyway. It turns the motor just fine. What about your battery? Does it start fine in normal conditions? Look in a Summit catalog for good electric fans.

Jeff

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any other ideas?

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:44 AM
Official Historian

mine had been getting harder to start. the engine would barely turn over. then one night, it wouldn't turn over at all but after a couple of tries the battery was dead. i had replaced the battery, alternator and starter solonoid and checked the starter brushes prior to that night. it turned out to be the starter. i put a new one in and it starts strong every time now. yours might be going too.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No.. it starts like a top when its colder or just warm.. but when it gets hot the starter barely turns the engine over.. my battery is brand new, solenoid is new - I have 4 spares, alternator is charging.. I have heard sometimes the starter gets hot whenever driven alot and its harder to start a few minutes after being turned off.. can i get some sort of starter wrap? What else is the problem?...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think 180 is to bad at stoplights. The electric fan will definately help that. I vote on the starter being your hot start problem. You might could get it as hot as it will get and take a water hose and run over the starter for a few minutes to cool it down. If it spins fine then it probably is the problem. You might want to check the timing also. Sometimes over advanced timing will make one hard to turn over and it usually is worse when one is hot.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 195 degree thermostat in my 304, and it runs 195 all the time, stop and go, or highway. In addition, I've got fenderwell headers that travel right past the stock starter. Never had a problem with either. I'd try getting everything hot (even though 180 isn't real hot...) and then very carefully (key on, tranny neutral, parking brake on) jumping over the starter solenoid, just to make sure that it's working properly. If it is, the engine should start hard, like you've been experiencing. If the engine fires right up, it's the solenoid. Hmmm...try feeling the starter when the engine's real warm..it shouldn't be that unbearably hot. As far as heat shields go, yeah, a piece of sheet metal could be bent into shape for a heat shield. Just maintain an air gap between the heat source, the shield, and the starter. 1/2" would be about perfect. What heat source are you worried about (not sure what kinda exhaust you've got...muffler, catalytic converter, headers, etc...what's by the starter?). BTW, mine had a 160 degree thermostat in it when I bought it. It never really warmed up. When I put in a 195, it came to life. Ran better, idled better, pulled harder, stayed one consistent temperature, became more efficient. It was a very worthwhile change! I can't imagine a mechanical condition in the engine that would make it hard to start when warm...like a sticking valve or something perhaps? But I'm guessing that would be more of a cold start problem... I'm guessing it's a starter problem as well. Marginal electrical contact that is worsened by heat...???

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode