Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Quick question about relays
Yep, it will work, but it will fail far sooner than a good relay. One reason a relay is used is to control higher current devices. By putting in a switch you bring all that current through the wiring into the cab to the switch location. That's not a great idea.
Before you replace the relay, attempt to figure out why the relay is failing. Usally a relay fails due to following problems:
a. The relay can not handle the actual current, buy a relay with a larger current handeling capacity.
b. The wiring terminations on the relay are loose or corroded. Use some silicone spark plug grease on the relay socke (If it's socketed) or uses the same grease and some shrink wrap over exposed terminals.
c. The switching current is not enough to trip the relay. This one's tough to figure out...more information would be needed.
d. Moisture is destorying the contacts. Seal the relay can with sealant.
Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'