ideas of the perfect jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ideas of the perfect jeep?

i'd like to know what everyones opinion of the perfect jeep would be. what mods, models, etc. we are just dreaming here so the skys the limit!

my idea of the perfect jeep would be either a bobed scrambler, cj6, or a lengthened jeep like mine with about 100-104" wheelbase. slap a set of 60" wide 35 spline dana60's with detroits, 5.38 gears, and 5on5 1/2 wheel patern and 1/2ton brakes. a fuel injected v8 (ford, chevy doesn't matter) with a granny low 6speed tranny. i havn't seen the 6speeds in a jeep but i would like the gear variaty. i am happy with my short shaft dana300 but i would add the new aa hd tail shaft to it. 38x14.50 swampers on 15x10" beadlocks. the suspension would be a 2.5" lift spring mounted over the axle. the springs would be custom but made based on a 2.5"lift for a wrangler (i just like leaf springs. you can keep your coils.). onboard air and welder would also be there. a warn m8274-50 winch and throw in seats, guages, and a roll cage and i'd be ready to go.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:05 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: ideas of the perfect jeep?

PAID FOR!

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no jeep is ever truely paid for. i have monthly payments to it each month eventhough it was payed in full from the day i bought it. if i could just loose my wish list. yeah right.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:33 PM

I like your ideas as far as length and axles for sure. I would/will probably use a Commando, as the starting point. i would like to use a 3 point 1/4 eliptical in the rear, with air bag leveling. D60 rear w/Detroit, D60 front with ARB, Atlas II T case and Klune V 2.7 multiplier, NV4500 Tranny and the new inline 6 4.2 Vortec chevy mill(275 HP/ 270 ft/lbs). 40" Boggers (grooved),15x10 MRT bead locks, Hydraulic ram assisted front steering, and hydraulic ram rear steering with automatic centering. Corbeau seats,on board welder with Ready welder mig attachment, and AC inverter, york air system, Rancho lightning rod 18" travel shocks(adjustable valving). Front and rear Warn 9500lb winchs, HID lighting. Hmmmmm did I leave anything out.
That is the general idea for my next project rig, then Kathy gets the YJ.
My second choice would probably be Brians lengthened CJ, seeing as how its already trail ready.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 05:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

h8... I'm with you... but with a couple other things,
LEADER's front fenders
your tire rack and side mounts.
high5's wheelbase, but start with a yj frame
my spring over/shackle reverse with the back shackles mounted on top of the frame.
jeepgods krylon pumpkin orange spray paint
dougs cbrack
cjdave's heater&A/C
tr's ignition
jay angers' stickers!
not sure if i dig the rear steer... i need more info.. i really hate to put more u-joints in..
i am still seeing how i like the auto too.. i will make final judgement next year when me and jeepgod have nearly identical jeeps except i have a tf727 and he has a t-18

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 06:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Are we talking street legal or trail rig?

What about the aluminum body tub and 1/4" stainless frame? Add that to some 56" long Commando mono-leafs, SOA, and I think I'd be happy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 06:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mm.. skys the limit.. i like this..

2 1/2 ton axles front and rear 5.38's detroits, running 44" boggers.. would need custom springs from national.. propane injected big block.. some granny low manual.. with 4 reverses.. and 18 forward gears.. whatever transfer case comes behind it... im sure will do.. all done with as little lift... maximum body trimming as i can get away with.. krylon pumpkin orange paint job.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
that would suffice for now..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great ideas. I'm taking notes.

I guess I dream more practical. I would go similar on some of the items but all of you head right for the heavy side on the drive train and I'm sure those monster V8's will add a lot of weight.

I like lean and mean. I would stay with D44's underneath from a Ford, 4" wider than my stock. I love those 9 inchers. You can get anything you want in them. I also like the idea that all the mods I would add including the NV4500 to a 4:1 converted twin shift D300 t-case can be powered by a very custom, 4.2L I6, massaged with blue printing, a little boring, hypereutectic pistons on slightly stretched h-beam rods, capped with 4.0 heads breathing through a MPI system.

Oh, did I forget to mention turbo charged?

I'd keep the YJ frame, though some special additions would be needed. Especially for the SOA with reversed shakles stretched out 2 more inches along the frame. I'm not sure about how I would tie the roll cage in yet but the most important part would be to do it from the frame up and do it mostly myself.

As long as we're thinking sky high - I need a plasma cutter for some of my custom bull bar work and the cage. I always try to finess a new tool out of a project.

This is fun!

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:04 AM

Some nice ideas floating around here. Mine must make me seem crazy, but here it goes:

Tube-framed Willys MB, EFI 225 Buick V6, T18a, Atlass 2 (4.3 low range). Coil suspension that allows 35" Claws or Swamper SXs, Dana 44 front with Moser shafts and Warn Premium hubs, Dana 44 FF rear with Moser shafts and Warn premium hubs. Detroit soft-lockers front and rear, 5.38:1 gears
Light weight and low geared with a short-wheelbase and plenty of power!

Odd that I'm trying to build the Wrangler up into a beast, isn't it?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 09:25 PM

I've got 3 dream jeeps in 3 different jeeps on my dream jeep list.
1st jeep, most likely a reailty or pretty close right now.
'86 CJ-7 Factory 258, auto, Rear D44, hard top and soft top. Front GW D44 w/ lock right, rear no slip, 4.56 gears, 4 wheel discs, conferr covers, shaved housing35" baja claw radials, 4" rancho suspension w/ RS9000's w/ in cab control, 1" MORE Body, 1" Conferr Shackles, Stainless brake lines, drop pitman arm, HD drive shafts, 4 wheel discs, Full cage, Snorkel, home made iron angle rocker skids, put a 2 barrel webber on the 258, msd box, mean green starter/ alt., msd distributor, good pulgs and wiresRear Jump seats (4), front extened cab mini truck bench seat, yeah that's seating for 7, HD bumpers, 8,000k winch, Pile of lights, safari rack, cb, camo paint job

My dream tow rig/ back up trail rig
'91 MJ long bed(comanchee, only year ho 4.0). Stoke the 4.0 to a 4.9, HP fuel injectors, super charger/ turbo charger can't keep the 2 straight, MSD Box, Mean green starter/ alt, msd dist., K&N filter, Coustom headder & exhaust, TH700R4 tranny coustom built w/ hd internals, B&M Shifter, Atlass 2 w/ the highest low range, Full Cage including bed bar and added support, Luxury car leather seats, ac, bitching stero, CB, Coustom HD hitch, 3" front lift, 4.5" hd rear lift, Control arms, Tie rod conversion, trac bar, HD steering box, R9000's w/ incab control, Font big brakes, Rear D60 w/ an arb, disc conversion, hd u-joints and drive shafts, 31x10.5 BFG muds

Dream Trail rig. 76-79 CJ-5. 4" spring lift, 2" body, Dual D60's, 302 built to make over 300hp, 38" TSL's, Lots of other stuff, havn't thought too much aoubt it and don't want to bore you, I just think the comanchee would be really cool, you could kill any import off the line.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode