Jeepn: rusty tub pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Jeepn: rusty tub pics

Finally got around to taking a few pictures last night. Check out http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...188&a=10250433

Worse than what you started with?
I may have located another, less rusty tub in Missouri.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:10 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Jeepn: rusty tub pics

Man, that is UGLY! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I guess I got lucky getting one that is dern near perfect [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:22 AM
Matt M38A1

And you're taking this on as a rebuild???

I understand completely.

(It is pretty gross though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

That's the point that's up for debate at the moment, but things are definitely leaning in the direction of rebuilding it. Just checked on the location of the other tub (which needs work also, just a lot less) and it's 9+ hours away which would mean a day trip, sleeping over, and another day trip back home. I think I can pick up some sheet metal, borrow a mig from one of my buddies, spend an hour or two learning to weld adequately (or see if FarmJeep is up for welding for parts/money [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]...he got an old winch from me last time), and be in good shape for less time & money. I've already got the back half of another tub sitting out back under my deck that has a solid set of wheelhousings in it and a few other usable pieces of metal, so I'd just need to pick up a cowl, front floor panels, and a sheet for the cargo area. I've gottta decide soon since I'll be dropping the drivetrain in shortly and then will be ready for the tub.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:19 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like a lot of work - good luck with it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:24 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, definitely worse. Glutton for punishment aren't you.

Forget FarmJeep, get your own welder, and forget the 110V mig, you'll burn it out on a project like this. What do you have for body working tools? Torches?

Mine wasn't nearly as bad, but I can't see the supports underneath yours. Judging from where I can see though, they're probably shot as well. In my estimation, this tub is scrap, maybe good for the rollbar and/or heaterbox. Mine wasn't nearly as bad, and when I started it I knew I had a long road ahead of me. However, the more I dug into it, the more I found, the metal looked fine in places but was completely gone once I cut into it, paint sandwiched in the rust, no bubbling either. Knowing I had a long way to go, I sectioned the tub off (something I learned from blueberry raking a large field growing up) and attacked individual sections. Once one was completed, I moved to another. Now that I look back, I'm amazed at what I've replaced, literally about 75% of the entire tub.

Also keep in mind that when starting on a tub like this, it'll never turn out correct, it's too far gone to maintain the proper lines. As a result, I'm going to have to make each body lift puck individually for the body to sit level, I know there is as much as an inch difference in some spots.

If you do attack it though, you can make it better than original. I'm talking about heavier metal (so it won't rust as easily), no sandwiched metal to catch dirt, recessed tanks and lights, and higher wheelwells for larger tires. About 1/2 way through with mine, I looked at it, and how much time/money it had taken. If I hadn't been 1/2 way home, I'd probably have given up and just saved the money for a new tub. If I had to do it over again, I'd have never started on it.

Are you going to attack it?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:02 AM

I've always suspected you were a glutton for punishment, Rodney.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:16 AM
Matt M38A1

Given that you're going to be "borrowing from peter to pay paul" I would suggest getting a spot weld cutter (here I go again). It'll help you salvage those panels instead of butchering them when you start dismantling things. Search it out. I posted on the subject a while ago.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm a glutton sometimes. I'd like to get my own welder, but I have to balance my expenses with not ticking off my wife too much...got enough in my 'mad money' account for 2 fiberglass tubs, but I know I'll catch hell if I spend more than a hundred or two. I could probably get away with it when I get my bonus check, but that's not until the end of January. Right now, I have one buddy's arc welder and one of my other buddies said that he has a mig and knowing him it's probably a 230v unit and he'd probably have no problem with me borrowing it. I have the basic body working tools...hammers, dollies, sanding blocks...no torches, but have access to one (same buddy who has the arc welder). My supports are actually in pretty decent shape other than the ends of the ones under the rocker panels where the body mounts just in front of the rear wheels *were*, plus I've got another set of cargo area supports in the half tub out back.
I guess the big thing is to give the tub a thorough going over and get a complete list of what I need and tally that up and compare it against the cost of a fiberglass tub and compare the time & labor involved. The fiberglass would win in the time & labor department for sure.
The idea of attacking it and building it exactly the way I want it *does* appeal to me, though. Heavier metal, better body mounts, larger wheelwells. Really, the only area that makes me a bit uneasy is dealing with the rust-through in the windshield hinge mounting areas of the cowl. I guess we'll see what pans out in the next 2-3 weeks. Hmmm...I *do* need to by myself a X-mas gift [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the spot weld cutter. Definitely the ticket for removing the cowl if I decide to do this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode