Rancho RS9000 In-Cab control kit...Who Has One? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rancho RS9000 In-Cab control kit...Who Has One?

I want the in-cab control kit for my RS9000s. How hard was it to install, how much do you like/hate it? Was it worth plumbing all the lines? Does it leak? Would you buy one for your next vehicle? IS it worth the roughly $150? Where;d you get yours from? Sorry for all the questions, guys, but i'm pretty sure i want one, and just wanted to know if there was anything i should be watching out for...if anybody knows, YOU GUYS WILL!!! thanks. Ps-> how long was the install?

Mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 07:43 AM

Re: Rancho RS9000 In-Cab control kit...Who Has One?

I had one on a s10 that I built (it had the rancho 3" kit). I really liked the way I could adjust the front and rear seperately. The only bad thing is the tubing is hard plastic and all the connectors are plastic. After about 2 1/2 years the system began to leak. No big deal, I just had to re pressurize the system every morning.
The installation wasn't bad, I mounted the air compressor unit under the hood, ran one wire into the cab, along with 4 plastic air lines. I took the gauges out of the bracket and mounted them in part of the center console. I also mounted the deflator buttons on there, and the air compressor switch which I wired into the ignition switch. It took me probably a day to install doing all the custom stuff. I ran the air lines throught the inside of the frame rails. I would probably do it again, except I don't have the cash to spend[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:07 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Wanna buy mine?

It is the dual guage version, but all I have are the compressor and guages/buttons in the little bezel panel. You would need to source the connectors and tube on your own from Rancho I guess...

I did some trading for it a year or so ago, and since I only have the RS9k's on the front, the dual kit is not really necesary for me.

I was asking $75 for it, and I can get you some digital pictures of it this weekend if you like. I figure you could spend an extra $20 or $30 on the hose & connectors and be saving quite a bit (almost 1/3) off the price of a new one.

Just let me know [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my brother had it on his 94 yoda with 36's. It was a pain for us to install cause of the plastic lines. That yoda drove better than a car on the highway!

I was thinking of getting it for my jeep but I am not sure if the short wheelbase would work well with it.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i bought the kit when i got my rs9000's but i sent it back. after getting it i decided for a trail rig they wouldn't be the best thing. just something else to get snagged. i have heard of leakage problems with them too.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:03 PM

Ive had them on my F250 for a couple of years and they held up great even through the Mud bogg Racing years. I love em they allow you to adjust while you drive which is a great feature. I dump the air on them when i hit the bumpy LA freeways and even the beastly F250 suspension mellows out quite a bit(at least it doesnt sound like you have reverb on your cell phone when your driving and talking).They do not leak down for months without checking.
I have them know on my Jeep I needed them in the rear, because of the added sway of angled rear shocks, they do a fantastic job, and are very noticeable from the high to low settings. Since I had the dual gauge set up, but didnt really think I need them for the front, I used the set-up to go side to side adjustable in the rear to see if dumping the air on the high side of a steep side hill would make any difference, so far i cant really tell any difference because the rig is very stable on steep side hills charateristicly anyway.
i would recomend the system though, even for extreme off road rigs if you have cantilevered shocks, or if you drive to and from the trails, its nice to be able to firm up the shocks for stability on the road, then dump some air to make the rig a more forgiving off road, it also helps to reduce hop, if you firm up the rears before steep hill climbs.
The trick I have found to keep them from leaking is to use a dab silicone on the O rings durring install(instead of grease), they will still come apart and clean up if you need, but they will hold air without leak down very well.
In the Jeep I installed my gauges and controls where the radio used to go.
Hope this helps.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 03:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Many thanks to Jeff and everyone else who gave me some info. I probably should have mentioned that its for my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 sport. Nope, it doesnt see a lot of off-road abuse, so i dont think the lines snagging on anything will be a problem...besides i just LOVE to use those little zip ties!.

mike

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 06:18 PM

It might be the best money I ever spent on the Jeep . Yes do it. i doesnt take more than an afternoon to install. I put mine right in the plastic section of my YJ dash. Angled up, directly under the stock gauges. If you cant reach it and drive then whats the point. Get the buttons as close to the steering as you can. Go for it .

91 wrangler 4.0 SOA,All borla,jet chip,rancho 9000s in cab random tech, M.O.R.E. steering kit, K&N, accel coil,sloted drilled rotors,four wheel disc, add a leaf,wrangler dual bat in cab optimas,
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 09:32 PM

"It doesn't see a lot of offroad abuse." It doesn't see any off road at all. Not even enough to help a friend out in a tight situation.

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body w/ tied in full cage

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, let me explain to you what alec is referring to.

First off, my truck see occasional trips to teh sand pit, just to keep the transfer case and front axle lubricated. usually once every 2 weeks or so.

Second, Alec and george decided to go 4 wheeling and take everbody, but they werent willing to wait for me to get out of class, in which i had a test, so that i could go with them. So i didnt care and made plans for after class with other people, figuring they'd still be out doing their thing. On my way out the door, to class, dressed pretty well for the plans i had afterward, they call me, oh this is stuck, this ios broke, blah, blah. so i made a list of the parts they needed and intended to hit the auto parts store after the test and then go and help. The test took longer than i thought it would, so when i got back home, i called them on one guys cellular. He told me that they had another jeep to go get parts with and theat they head used a hi-lift to unstick the stuck Jeep. Bear in mind they are about a half hour from where i live. So, if they arent stuck, and have another Jeep to run for parts with, what did they need me for? Funny they didnt need me when they went wheeling but when they needed help i was the first one they called. And yes, i wqould have helped them, and was going to, they wouldnt alter their plans to accomodate me, but i was willing to do it for them, as most of my best friends were out there. If no jeeps are stuck and they have a good jeep to get parts with, why should i get muddy, when i have plans? I'm sure most anybody else would have done the same. Sorry for the long post, but i feel nobody should get only one side of the story. And i dont want people thinking that I'm an a$$hole who wont help his friends when they need it, because, you, Alec, know better than anyone that i'm not like that...

mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode