Tire Advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tire Advice

Ok time to buy new 33" tires for the CJ... i have some off-brand non aggresive tires that the prev owner put on and right now look like modified slicks... (i dont drive when its raining anymore) I will be driving it about 100 Miles a few times a year to and from school but never go over 3,000 miles a year... it will see some off road and mud so i want some tires that will clean well, i was thinking of BFG M/T's or TSL Radials... the Jeep will sit in a parking spot for a week at a time sometimes and was wondering if either are really bad at flat spotting? Just general advice the $$ is about the same, and highway ride or noise arent really a big factor for me... i like noise [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tire Advice

Going by what you said, i'd go BFG M/Ts. I've always been a big fan of BFGs...had them on the dakota, have them on the ram, have them on the TJ....Yeah, i like them. They are probably still on the dakota somewhere, may it be safe wherever it is! They arent very pron to flat spots, ALEC78CJ never drives his damn Jeep, and he doesnt get any. I have heard folks say things about the Super swampers getting flat sopts when left sitting for a while, though i have never owned a set so i cant speak from experience. Yes, the Swampers are way more aggressive, but they will also wear out a LOT faster on the Road than the MTs will. ITs up to you. I've given you all i can, hope you got a little direction from it!!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 07:17 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The Swamper Radials suck, even compared to the BFG's.

I run the Swamper bias ply TSL's, but know of lots of people that had the same question as you, and got the radials. Every one of them said it was the worst purchase they've made. They ran them down a little (to appease the wife probably), and bought either BFG MT's or the TSL bias ply's. The bias ply's will flat spot, but it usually comes out when the tires get warmed up in a few miles. I'd go with the BFG's as well, and with putting 3K on it a year, they'll last a very long time.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 07:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i run 33 12.50 thornbirds an my 95 yj and i love them.i think they are the best but everyone has an opinion.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

consider the goodyear MT/R if you can....smae price as the BFG MT....but i hear have better on road handling and just as much stuff for off-road.....im 90% sure im getting those in spring.....

i heard thornbirds suck so i'd stay away from those....i had a set that i never ran...they sat in my garage and i heard so much bad stuff about them...that i just sold them wouldnt rist public humiliation on the trail with them.

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 11:10 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I was gonna say to run Cooper STT's. I've found them to perform VERY much like BFG MT's in mud & on pavement ('cept they are a bit louder), but they're cheaper & last longer. But, BFG's are no slouch in the "lasting" department either, plus with only 3,000 miles a year going on your tires, you'll dry-rot either of these before you wear them out. I'm not a fan of bias TSL's on pavement at all (I've owned them in 4 sizes over the past 8 years, but have put a total of about 50 pavement miles on all of them combined), but if that's all the farther you drive, you might consider them. There's no comparison to them off-road vs. ANY radial.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 11:27 AM

I've got some 33 x 12.5 Super Swamper TSL Radials on my YJ. Never had them flat spot when it was cold. They clean themselves very well (especially all over the side of the jeep), and they will pull you out of almost anything. Also there cheaper than most other 33" tires.

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:28 PM
pugrocker

Get the Goodyear MTRs......I have them and they are quiet, handle great on the street and are amazing on the trails......only negative about them is they don't float great in sand (they like to dig) - just lighten up on the throttle though and all is good.

They are more money than the competition but you get a warranty that Goodyear will fix the tire, if puntured off road or on road - no questions asked (pretty damn good if you ask me).

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know I am new to this site but have been around Jeeps awhile. I have run probably 10 different brands of tires. I always say BFG's have been one of the best. For a comparable type tire, Look at SPORT KING alot cheaper$$$. Softer sidewall, but excellent road and tire. I am running the SPORT KING a/t now. They are secretly made by BFG, I am told.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if your looking for offroad tires go with super swamper bias, can't match them with any other 33x12.50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode