Is there really a difference in Windshield frames? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Mac

Is there really a difference in Windshield frames?

Is there a difference in windshield frames for early CJ5 with a hard top and one with a soft top? My CJ5 has had a soft top all of it life and I just got a steel hard top for it. It fits but up against the windshield it kind looks like it needs a different windshield frame...

Thank

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

75 CJ5 Almost Never will be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Is there really a difference in Windshield frames?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think CJ-5's ever came from the factory with hardtops. Alot of aftermarket companies made them. The one on my folks' '78 CJ-5 was built by a HVAC company (really is a nice hard top and full hard doors). So I think the answer to your question is "NO", there isn't a different w/s frame, just some hardtops fit better than others. Does your soft top use a windshield channel to attach it to the w/s frame? If so, you may need to remove it for the hardtop to fit all the way down. I hope I helped. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shouldn\'t be . . and a correction . .

It's a mystery for sure, but this crazy hard top of mine (77 CJ5) is suspected to be a dealer option top from 1977. They were sooo expensive that nobody could afford to buy them. If you can prove me wrong with any friggin' info about this top, please PLEASE do!!!!

-Richard

Klein Design & Production Company
email for more info . . . moving!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-274704-CJwTop.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 11:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Shouldn\'t be . . and a correction . .

Before '76, steel hardtops were an option from the factory and required removal of the w/s frame soft top strip to seat correctly. The window frames were the same between the hard and soft tops, but after '76, there weren't any hard tops available from the dealer unless the dealer had arranged a contract with a shop to have them custom made. AMC didn't make them for the CJ5. Check that you have the proper rubber strips and that you have a pre '76 top on a pre '76 Jeep. It should look sorta like a Postal Jeep.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mac, if you look in the parts books there are three different windshields listed for the cj- 5. 1955 -1968,1969-1975, and 1976-1983. I'm not positive but I think the only difference between the first two is the location of the wipers and wiper motors ,but in the later Cj there is a difference in the taper from bottom to top. The other possibility is that top might be for a flatfender. I have seen some aluminum hardtops from military flatfenders so I'm sure there might be some older aftermarket tops floating around for the flatfenders.
Bob

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Mac

Well I know that the top came off of a 67 CJ5, So I would assume that it would fit my pre 75 CJ5, Which in theory it should. I also have removed the soft top strip at the top of the windshield to get it to fit, (well it was toasted anyway) So it does kinda fit. The only thing I am having trouble with it the back end. I cant get it to sit down on the jeep. It is kinda "piviting" in the middle of the top and cant get it to sit down. I have even got on top and jumped on it and it wont move.

Any suggestions?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 10:05 AM

Here's a good guess ...
Your rear body mounts are probably shot to hell and the whole tail section of your old 5 has probably drooped.
My son's ole '74 CJ-5 was this way .. it's body had settled and even shifted foreward due to body mount rot.
If so, you'll need to rebuild the mount brackets, mount new pucks, and maybe even bounce it over some really rough roads with some heavy cargo at the 'peak' to get the tail to push back up to straight.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The top hasn't been twisted or anything that would keep it from sitting flush has it? I had a 7 once that had a real easy roll on to its side in a ditch and didn't even appear to have any noticeable damage but there was just enough twist in the tub that the hard top would sit down to one side or the other but not flush against the back. sorry I can't be much help.
Bob

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Mac

I never really thought about the tub sagging. I do know that my rear body mounts are ok. I think the problem is in the middle. I think those ones are shot. What I will probibly do is jack the body up and see if it makes a difference. If is does I guess I am rebuilding body mounts!

Thanks

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:43 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I had a similar problem with the scrambler. I took the top and doors off, left them in the field (it was mid November), and went wheeling. Beat on it pretty hard (trying to get the SR-4 to grenade), and when I came back at the end of the day, the top and doors didn't fit anymore. I had to hold the doors on with a bungee strap for the ride home, wouldn't even remotely line up. Needless to say, I did tweak the body a little, but then I didn't have much holding the body to the frame, mounts were shot. Body didn't look like it was out though, so I'd definitely look closer at it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode