shortest engine/autotranny/TC combo for 1969 DJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shortest engine/autotranny/TC combo for 1969 DJ

Hey guys. I'm converting a 1969 DJ to 4wd. It currently has a Chevy 153 four-banger coupled to a Chevy PowerGlide automatic tranny. The rear is a centered 44.

I'm going to change just about everything, and need help selecting the shortest engine/automatic tranny/transfer case combination.

Engine: Buick 225 v6 or Chevy 4.3L v6?
Transmission: Torqueflite or TH350?
Transfer Case: what have you seen with such a setup?

You may be asking yourself, "why doesn't he just go out and buy a CJ?" Well the reason is that I like the DJ body (sliding doors are cool!), it already had sprung-over and flanged 44 rear, and I got if for $300. Also, don't try and talk me out of the automatic transmission...I like a challenge.

Any advice?...I'd appreciate your two-cents worth. Thanks!

'69 DJ Rubicon Runner in progress...help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 09:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: shortest engine/autotranny/TC combo for 1969 DJ

I have a fiend who took a DJ body and dropped it on a CJ frame. If you can find one with a junk tub it might be worth trying. I "think" it had a 258,T-18/D20. But I really can't remember.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 09:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh I feel stupid now. You have the short front clip a I6 won't fit. How bout a GM V6 with maybe a Th350 and a well beats me what t-case cuz I don't know what bolts to GM stuff. Why an auto by the way? If you go stick why not use a three speed to a D18?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:03 AM
Matt M38A1

I'm going SB 350 to TH350 to Dana 18, when complete in a 1955. I'm not sure if the DJ front clip is shorter than mine or not. I WILL make this combination fit, however, at this point I'm not positive what it's going to take.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 02:26 AM

Your on the right track in staying with a v-6, since they are as short as a 4 Cyl and of course give more power... as far as auto trannies, I think I researched this once and the th350 is about the shortest you can get, or at least it's within like less than an inch longer than the next shorter....but it is the obvious choice to bolt to a 4.3(chevy bellhousing) or buick v6(bop bellhousing). Dana 18 is the shortest transfer I've ever seen, but you will need an adapter, and the question is how long is the adpater(how much length will it add)and how much will it cost? It has an added benefit of a lower rear output to help your driveshaft angle ( your rear shaft will be SHORT so every little bit will help) and it can accept a warn/saturn overdrive that the th350 doesn't have. A drawback will be you need to get an offset 44. If you go that route look for a later offset 44, (like a 70-71 I think) they used flanged, 30 spline axle shafts as opposed the the earlier 19 spline 2 piece shafts ( yes, just like the dreaded stock amc 20 shafts). The offset rear has an advantage in the rocks as you only have to miss that rock with the front axle and the rear automatically misses to! Oh yeah, with the dana 18 you automaticallt get twin sticks to!

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:13 AM

I agree with the above post, except buy whatever X-case bolts up to the tranny. The neat thing about the TH350 is that the aftermarket supplies some nice re-gearing kits for them down to 2.75:1; the TH-400 has a re-gearing kit to 3:1.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have an 80 CJ5. The shortest option I can suggest with a manual transmission would be an Iron Duke Bellhousing, Ford T-18 transmission adapted to a Jeep Dana 20.

The Iron Duke engine is a GM 4 cylinder engine that was used in Jeeps from 1980 - 1982. The Iron Duke bellhousing uses a hydraulic slave cylinder. The Iron Duke bellhousing will bolt to Chevy 4.3 V6 or a Chevy V8. The Iron Duke bellhousing will accept a Ford T-18 transmission, the bolt holes for the Ford T-18 are cast into the bellhousing, but the casting bosses will need to be drilled and tapped. The Iron Duke bellhousing will accept the Camaro 10.4" GM clutch.
dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 02:39 PM

What does it take to adapt a D20 to a Ford T-18? Any adapter plates needed, or machine work to the transmission? I assume your typing about a 2WD tranny? What would be wrong with putting the Iron Duke bellhousing on a 4x4 Ford T-18 with Ford D-20 attached? This would even give a better low-range.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, let me describe what I did. I started with a 2WD Ford T-18, cost me $75 from a junk yard. I then got a 76 Jeep Cherokee T-18 (with 6.32 1st gear) complete with a Dana 20 and adapter for $125. I used the main shaft from the Jeep T-18, the Ford T-18 case (modified the back with new holes to accept the Jeep T-18 to Dana 20 adapter, the Ford T-18 input shaft because the Ford input shaft is the same length as a GM 6.5".

I'm not a Ford expert, but my 80 CJ5 has a Dana 30 with a right (passenger) side differential. I think most Ford's have left (drivers) side front differentials. I've not seen the Ford 4X4 version of the T-18. My guess is that the Ford transfer case will have the front drive shaft going the left side differential.

I'd also like to add, the Iron Duke is a GM 2.5 liter engine. There is a huge difference between the AMC 2.5 liter engine and the GM 2.5 liter engine. Only the Iron Duke bellhousing will bolt to a Small Block Chevy or Chevy 4.3 V6.
dave

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Don't feel stupid, the DJ does have a shorter front clip (as does the M38A1) but the DJ also has a "punched out" grill that makes room for the I6. In fact I looked at a DJ5 for my wife (she REALLY wants one!) that had an I6 with auto (I think 727) in it. If fit fine. If I were you, I would look for a donor Jeep of about the same size and take the entire running gear out.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode