Information on AJ'S fiberglass bodies - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 03:39 PM
jeepfreak1

Information on AJ\'S fiberglass bodies

I would like opinions on aj's fiberglass bodies.
if you have one which one (wildcat,standard or deluxe).
any input would be appreciated.

<font color=green> JF1 </font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 05:02 PM
Dean

Re: Information on AJ\'S fiberglass bodies

I've had an AJ's Deluxe for about 4 years. It's held up very well, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Dean

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got the AJ's deluxe body and am very pleased with it. Very thick metal in all spots where bolts are to be installed (body mounts, windshield hinges, hood hinge, etc). The back of the jeep where the lights go is also extremely thick. I cut out holes for round flush mounted lights, and the fiberglass is a little over an inch thick. I was worried that the tub would feel flimsy and cheap, but it has far exceeded my expectations. Even though my cj is not running yet, I've crawled all over the tub, and it is solid.

My only complaints on the tub were the delivery time and the color of the gel-coat. It took about 3 months for me to get the tub, where they promised 4-6 weeks. I ordered the tub in green, and the color in the book was a dark green. The actual color of the tub is a brighter green than in the samples in the book. I'm going to end up painting it orange anyway.

However, with the Willy's-Overland tubs available now, if I was going to do it over, I would seriously consider going with theirs. The main reason would be that the holes, etc are already cut into the tub. Maybe I'm slow, but it has taken me forever to get all of the holes drilled or cut. It's also very nerve-wracking when you start your cuts.

Anyway, if you don't mind the extra work, you won't go wrong with the AJ's tub.

Greg J.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 10:44 PM
jeepfreak1

Other than the color problem how is the finish? Any chips in the gel coat?
Due to respetory problems if their finish is good I am considering a custom color.
I donít have much choice, I need a body for a CJ-8, I purchased a 4WDHWD body but there were a few things I really did not like and it is going back!
I have done several CJ-5 and CJ-7 fiberglass bodies,so the cutting does not bother me

<font color=green> JF1 </font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepfreak1, What didn't you like about the 4WD Hardware body? I will be ordering a 'glass body this spring and "thought" I was set on a 4WD Hardware body. I really hate to spend alot of money on something that is not up to par. If it is just a finish issue it doesent matter 'cause I'm going to paint mine anyways. Thanks.

BTW, I got my AFW frame, 5 weeks late, but it is awsome! I had no idea of the extent that holes would be drilled and tapped for all the bolt on stuff. About the only holes I'll have to drill are for mounting the brake/fuel lines and a couple drain holes in the back of the frame rails. It just seems like water could get in the front of the frame and never get out.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 03:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SMOKN, talk to Alec78CJ. He has the 4WDHW body on his CJ for...a year, maybe two now...i guess its two years. He loves it. Personally i like steel bodies, but its his Jeep and he Likes it a Lot. He put it on himself and he even has a webpage detailing its install. just get his profile from another post and see his site. He's a very good friend of mine and i've ridden in the Jeep a million times, and it seems pretty solid. More than i was expecting.

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 08:56 AM
BigMan

In my opinion if you didn't like the 4wd body you won't like any glass tub. I have a 4wd and my buddy has an aj's I like mine ALOT more. It's put together alot better and the finish was much straighter.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:32 PM

I have had the standard body on my Jeep for 10 yrs and about 150,000 miles(mostly on road) and have had no problems at all. Great body in my opinion.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The finish on the tub was very good. It did have one chip at the bottom of the rocker, but I might have done that when I was taking it out of the crate. It seems that the bottom of the tub under both doors is very easily chipped. More so than the rest of the tub. I figure I would bolt on some angle for protection anyway, so it's not a very big deal.

Can't compare it directly with a 4WDH body, because I've not seen one in person. I can tell you that I bought the 4WDH windshield frame, and it was VERY flimsy. If they build the bodies the same as the windshield frames, the AJ's would beat it hands down.

Greg J.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 05:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'v e had a 4wdr tub for....3 years.. in that 3 years, it has been on 2 frames, dumped on its side 3 times, pummeled into rocks, supported a 35x16 spare bogger, had 3 hoods, and been generally beat to death.. but it is in perfecvt shape yet.. i am truly amazed at the strength...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode