Axle Problems, Need HELP FAST - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle Problems, Need HELP FAST

I am having a bad morning. The right rear axle shaft has some play in it. The brake shop noticed it and I have yet to go up there and see what the problem is. He said that the shaft has some play in it. He said that the shaft has an inch of play in it to where you can pull the shaft in and out. He said that the shaft has no side to side play, just in and out. I rolled the jeep 1.5 yrs ago and had a shop replace the outer bearing on that same shaft, same axle. Does anyone have any idea as to what this problem is. I have the stock AMC 20 with one-piece Moser shafts. 1976 CJ-7 Narrow track with a Quadratach x-fer case and offset to the pass. side rear pumpkin. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have to figure out what to do about this problem right away.
THANX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axle Problems, Need HELP FAST

OK, I just got off the phone with the brake shop guy and he said that he had misspoken earlier and said the wrong side. He apologized and said that it was the driver side rear axle shaft bearing that seemed to be the problem. I asked him what was wrong and he said that the bearing was nearly gone. They said that they can put a new one on there for $125.00 total. I was just curious if replacing just one bearing on one shaft will have any adverse effects on the other shaft and bearing. I had the driver side bearing replaced last year and they did not replace the pass side bearing. Now the guy at the brake place is saying that the pass one is out, it seems to make sense. I just thought I would ask if they should always be changed out at the same time.
THANX

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 02:57 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No problem having just one chanegd out, but $125.00 is a little steep, there is only $30 in parts there. If they do change them out, insist on Timkin or SKF bearings, you'll regret it later if they use junk. Also find out if the axle shaft is scored and make sure they replace the race, as well as use all new seals, don't let them re-use anything.

You post confuses me, which side is gone and which one did you replace?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you rolled your jeep, there is a good chanced you bent your rear axle.. even a very slight bend will cause lots of tire wear and bearings to fail... get a 4 wheel alignment to be sure!

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode