Winch cable end - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Winch cable end

I am putting the finishing touches on my winch bumper I'm building to mount my Warn 8274. When I took it of the old bumper I had to cut the hook off. Now how safe is it to mount the hook back on with cable clamps? Is this a big no no? Also where do you find a hook that is strong enough for winching? I found that most hooks aren't rated anywhere near the capacity of the winch.

Randy

The happiest people don't have the best of everything
They just make the best of everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 01:07 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Winch cable end

I don't like hooks anyway, so I would suggest using a properly rated clevis/shackle on the end. It doesn't look "right" like a hook, but is much safer IMHO.

Just purchase some cable clamps, and one of the steel steeves for the loop to keep it from kinking the cable when you make the loop.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Terminology time: That steel sleeve is called a THIMBLE. Just thought you'd want to know.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 02:29 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Hey, I'm glad I know.

Another question, what about the aluminum clamps for cable, would they be OK, or are the bolt on clamps the way to go? The store has the clamping tool and will put them on for free.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The clevis it is. That way I shouldn't have to worry about it coming loose and taking out the front windshield. We are finally getting some snow up here so mabye I will get to try it out soon.

Randy

The happiest people don't have the best of everything
They just make the best of everything
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 03:30 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Obviously they use the press type clamps in the cable from the manufacturer, but either could be used.
The aluminum clamps have the benefit of being less obtrusive and snag-free, while the bolt type clamps offer the safety factor of being ably to easily check and make sure they are tight, and will not come off.

If you are confident the place will properly clamp the cable to withstand winching use, go that route...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 04:53 PM
sas87yj

i would go the bolt on type clamps. you can do yourself and i believe to be stronger/safer. there is an unwritten rule on how to mount the bolt-on clamp. "never saddle a dead horse". translated put the saddle shaped part up against the cable going back to the winch and the u-bolt piece up against the dead end of the cable. if you know what i mean![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
it's just something i learned from tunnel rats on underground jobs.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 10:10 PM
mudracer

I had the same questions last summer when I got an 8274 used. I looked around for hooks and settled on a 3/8" slip hook which has worked fine in lots of tough situations. It is not rated for the winches' capacity, but I haven't found anything better yet. Probably have to go to Warn for the proper hook. As far as the clamps, I went with the bolt-on type, which worked out great when I broke the cable and was able to re-do the end on the trail. I have seen some guys getting away with only one clamp, but I installed three. They're cheap. The clevis is a good idea over the hook though.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 trail machine
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode