AMC20 vs Dana 44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC20 vs Dana 44

I am trying to get the pros/cons of the AMC 20 vs the Dana 44........I used to have an AMC20 in the rear and swapped in a Dana 44 for more strength,etc.
What are some other reasons why the Dana 44 is better or why the AMC 20 is better?
thanks

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AMC20 vs Dana 44

I suggest you do a search on this bbs. There has been a HUGE amount of talk on this subject, if you printed it all it would probably be hundreds of pages!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JP Magazine (Jan 01) did a comparison on the two axles. The AMC 20 has some parts in it that are bigger than the D 44. However, we all know the stock axles in the AMC 20 are junk and that the tubes are the next weak link.

The axles can of course be fixed and the tubes can be stitch welded to help keep them from turning in the housing. (Although they still can bend.) The article went on to say that unless you are a hard core rock crawler, running 35s, or just generally abusive to your equipment, you should be fine with an upgraded the AMC 20.

I know that there are a bunch of jeepers on this BBS that have the AMC 20 with after market axles. I have one in my 78 CJ5 and it works fine with Moser 1 piece axles. (Installed in 93)

When I was 18 I thought that "4x4" meant "prepare for take off" and managed to destroy my first jeep in about 6 months. As long as you don't want to make your jeep fly or fall into one of the above exceptions, fix up the AMC 20.

If you would just feel better about having a D44, then go for the upgrade.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 08:42 PM

Actually- there are two kinds of AMC 20s. The ones used in CJs with thin tubes and two-piece axles, and the HD ones used in FSJs with thick tubes and solid axles. The HD model is better than a D44. The ring gear is slightly larger and it has a better oiling system. The D44 is generally cheaper to build up though, since there are so many of them around.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I went through this last month when trying to figure out what to do for axle swaps. I was either gonna run front and rear 44s, or a front 44 and rear HD 20. I decided to go with a set of 44s simply because parts are easier to find. But from what I've heard, the HD 20 is a little stronger. It's kind of a toss up. I think aslong as you're running the HD version, you'd be fine! And if you stick with a regular 20, just make sure to build it up!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode